Zippers, zippers, zippers

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It doesn't seem to matter what I do, the corrosion on our Bimini zippers gets the better of us. Has anyone found a product that will free corroded zippers and something that will work to keep them free of corrosion? We've tried WD 40, Corrosion Block, PB Blaster and silicon grease, all to no avail.
Thanks

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
nylon zippers?
I would hazard a guess that eliminating all corrosion is paramount in order to prevent further migration? WD40 displaces moisture, surprising that it is not sufficient.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
nylon zippers?
I would hazard a guess that eliminating all corrosion is paramount in order to prevent further migration? WD40 displaces moisture, surprising that it is not sufficient.
Nylon zippers, aluminum sliders. They all seem to be made the same. It's the salt, not the water that is the problem.

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
Only one solution, wash with fresh water and lube frequently.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
as has already been said, its the dry salt that is the problem... there is nothing you can do except wash it down good before it dries, or before storage. the salt crystals will begin to grow and you are being left with the results..... and it takes a bit to dissolve them once they are there.
it doesnt make a lot of difference if you have a nylon zipper with an aluminum pull, or a nylon zipper with a nylon pull, once the salt dries in to crystals, but for ultimate longevity in the marine enviroment, the full nylon zipper is a good choice

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Lube in tube

I don't know the name but it's lube in small tube or the stick looks like lip stick for chapped lips and just smear either one on the zippers both sides and also wash with fresh water on the boat as on the stainless frame with garden hose when you wash the boat,
My boat is 07 and 2 years in NY and full time since 08 in Florida in the water 12 months but in summer July and August when we travel north I take all canvas off spray with water proof lube the zippers and than lube again when put all the canvas back on in Sept.
All my zippers are still good working but my connector was pulled by human and replaced one side so all my zippers are good.
If too late and zippers are frozen than spray wd-40 or penetrating spray and use
tools to get working.
Nick

Jan 14, 2011
tanzer tanzer 28 bathurst nb
Go to a dive shop buy some wet suit zipper lube, it come in a stick in an orange canister, wash your zip with fresh water and apply the lube. It has worked for me on two boat and seven soft topped jeep for year, as good as slice bread, reapply when needed.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
All sounds great, IF we had fresh water to wash the boat off after every sail. Unfortunately, as we never get to a dock for longer than it takes to fuel up, and that's only 3 times a year, and we just don't have enough fresh water to wash things as well as they require, I was hoping for something we cruisers could use that would repel or displace the salt.

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
All sounds great, IF we had fresh water to wash the boat off after every sail. Unfortunately, as we never get to a dock for longer than it takes to fuel up, and that's only 3 times a year, and we just don't have enough fresh water to wash things as well as they require, I was hoping for something we cruisers could use that would repel or displace the salt.
Yes it's difficult when you're cruising and that's the only time we use the boat, winter cruising in the Bahamas. Fresh water and lube. We try but still have to get new zippers every few years. Not the same ones but every few years we have to re-new a couple of the zippers. I guess if we left the canvas up 12 months a year we wouldn't have to worry. It'd all be frozen in place but we do take it all down in the late spring and that's when we bugger the zippers up. Just another cost of cruising. Now let's talk about the stitching!!

Jan 14, 2011
tanzer tanzer 28 bathurst nb
You wont need to wash the zipper more than three time a year with wet suit wax, it is made to deal with salt water! Thats the beauty of it!

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
If the zippers are still frozen up with salt you can try steaming them open. We;ve had this problem in the past and used the tea kettle to direct the steam onto the zipper it may take a few minutes and a bit of tugging on the pull but they've always come free. I always put a smal piece of twine on the pull for a little more leverage. Once their free clean them up and as others have said coat them with wetsuit zipper lube. Opening and closing the zippers frequently after clearing them will keep them help in the long run.

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
If you can't find (or don't want to pay the relatively high cost of) commercial zipper lubes, have you tried Vaseline ?? It's inexpensive, and readily available.
I generously coat the length of my zippers (and the pulls) with vaseline in the Spring and in the Fall. Since doing so (for the past 10 years or so), my zippers have remained like new.... no corrosion build up, and continued easy operation.
As far as stitching... have you tried rubbing your stitching with candle wax?
Rub a candle along the stitching on a hot Summer day. The wax will melt into the thread and help significantly prolong it's life.

Jun 6, 2005
S2 30 Rye, NH
I don't know the name but it's lube in small tube or the stick looks like lip stick for chapped lips and just smear either one on the zippers both sides and also wash with fresh water on the boat as on the stainless frame with garden hose when you wash the boat,
My boat is 07 and 2 years in NY and full time since 08 in Florida in the water 12 months but in summer July and August when we travel north I take all canvas off spray with water proof lube the zippers and than lube again when put all the canvas back on in Sept.
All my zippers are still good working but my connector was pulled by human and replaced one side so all my zippers are good.
If too late and zippers are frozen than spray wd-40 or penetrating spray and use
tools to get working.
Nick

Easiest, cheapest, is plain chapstick. Apply both sides as needed after rinsing with warm water to dissolve the salt.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Stitches: preserving the stitches can be accomplished by spraying with the common water proofing substances sold by sporting goods, Walmart,etc. This stuff might help protect the zippers as well. Candles can be used for lubricating zippers.
Chief

earljo

Jun 28, 2009
Paceship 29 Meaford, Ont.
Try a lithium based lubricant. It comes in a spray can like WD40 but is much thicker & white in colour. Spray it on the zipper & then brush it in with an old toothbrush.

Aug 28, 2012
Wavelength 24 Columbia, SC
Try "Salt Away" from West Marine or other retailers to get the zipper clean. Then use chap stick.