Zippers and Windows....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I'd like some real world, used the product for at least a couple years, suggestions on products for zippers and windows.

Sailrite and West Marine and others sell a few different products to use on enclosure zippers. What have you guys found to work best?

Our dodger windows are 30 gauge Crystal Clear, comparable to Kal-Glas. Sailrite recommends 303 Aerospace Protectant to extend their life and slow yellowing. What do you guys use?

Thanks,

Sum and Ruth

Our Endeavour 37

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Our MacGregor S Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sum,

Zippers: the bigger the better. The smaller teeth are a real pain after a short time. I've used Sailkote and it works just great, since I already have it on board and don't need to find place for yet another can of propellant. :)

We have a different window material, I'll have to look it up and get back to you about it and the material we have been recommended to use by our dodger lady. It's either on my other computer or I'll have to go to the boat, or look it up in my files. I'll get back to you.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
303 on the zips. but I only use BLACK zippers as nobody makes a 'white' zipper that withstands UV ... not RIRI, Not YKK, nobody.

For my clear Vinyl (Strataglass) I use Imar polish and cleaner.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I have stratiglass on the dodger and side windowns but my rear enclosure is regular vinyl. I rinse with water and then let dry. I use rubbing alcohol on a dry terry cloth rag. It cleans and doesn't degrade the plastic or stratiglass.

I am finishing my ninth season on the dodger and enclosure. I keep the enclosure on from mid October to late April, so it is on about half a year. The dodger stays on all year.

I use a silicon spray on the zippers. I don't think it is ideal, so I am looking for an alternative. I just put my enclosure on last weekend and dry zippers and cold vinyl make it a tough job. Once it warms up in the sun, it is a much easier job.

Attachments

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I use IMAR products and won't use anything but. I use 303 Aerospace on the zips but nothing seems to help over the long haul and I've tried Riri, YKK and black and white. Black holds up slightly longer but looks bad with light colors....

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Damn, Maine Sail you keep a fine looking ship! Is there no schmutz, no algaed line, no chipped, mildewed fiberglass aboard that you can share?

Sumner: I paint everything with 303 protectant. Dinghy to plastic block cheeks. Have used it for near 20 years. Use a wax stick on my zips. However my stratiglass dodger windows have canvas covers. Provides needed shade inside the dodger/companion way.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
re. Mainesail: a boat that clean suggests a sick mind.

re. Zipper lube: Sailcote... and sometimes chapstick since the sun block version is often in my pocket.

re. protectant: I've used 303 and Imar. Imar is MUCH better both in restoring gloss and maintaining clarity. I hate the price, but it's simply better.

Nov 6, 2009
Hunter 37 FL
I keep a spray bottle filled with plain water on the boat to clean the vinyl windows. Make sure all salt is washed off before rubbing the vinyl. Re Sailrite, if you "like" them on Facebook you find out about special deals, sometimes just for Facebook "likers." Few days ago I got 15% off Sunbrella for our new dinghy cover that I'm making.

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
What I want to know is, who made that interesting take on a fiddle block on your boom? I've never seen anything like that before, at least not on a sailboat.

Edit: Never mind - it's Garhauer, which I don't normally see since they're not in my local West Marine. Schaefer has a couple sort of like that (3-sheave), but not hollow, air block types.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
What I want to know is, who made that interesting take on a fiddle block on your boom? I've never seen anything like that before, at least not on a sailboat.

Edit: Never mind - it's Garhauer, which I don't normally see since they're not in my local West Marine. Schaefer has a couple sort of like that (3-sheave), but not hollow, air block types.

Yep Garhauer and about 1/4 the price of Schaeffer, Harken etc.. great stuff, excellent warranty and they will do custom work for you too.

Installed a rigid boom vang on a 53 footer this summer, for another forum member, and it was still under 1k for a 53 footer!!! I think he said about $750.00 or so. Beautiful piece and it fit like a glove but that was mostly thanks to the owner sending a great template of his mast & boom.

Status
Not open for further replies.