zip stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frederick

I came along a boat with a mainsail handling rigging called "zip stop". For me it was the first time seeing this system. It looks nice, promising and easy to handle. Can someone tell me more about the system and the pro and con’s about it, etc.

T

Tim Stodola

The Zip-Stop main hasn't been in production for a long time. This is why most people have never seen one. While an interesting concept, in use it was rather problematic. It is basically a full length zippered sleeve, that would encase the mainsail when not in use. The main had short battens and a loose foot. You would ease off the outhaul completely, pull the entire foot of the sail forward and pull down on the leech, then pull the zipper down. The zippers were a common point of failure. Roller Furling Masts have pretty much taken over where these left off. I personally haven't seen a zipstop main in our loft in about 10 years, and if I came accross one, I would recommend that IF the sail is still in good condition, that it be converted to conventional use. My two-cents! I think other sailmakers would give you pretty much the same opinion

F

Fredeick

I connot find any zip stop articles

Thanks Tim. I was wondering when the ZIP SPOP rigging was a hype? Looking at it, it was an interested concept but immediately I visualized millions of problems with the ZIP STOP rigging and was looking for some answers. Not able to find any article about it, I punt my question in. Apparently a system that has been around a while ago without that much attention and faded out also quickly. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.