Zip Stop Main

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2004
Cape dory - Port Lavaca
I am looking at a Cat 30 with a "Zip Stop Main"... What do you guys have to say about that type of system. Good, Bad ?? Question #2 If I buy the boat and find at a later date that I just can't live with it what will it cost to transition to a standard style main. While I'm asking questions what would it cost to change to a different style of furling or stacking system. Thanks Don

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Which One?

Are you talking about the type that lays against the mast and zips up? Or are you talking about one that stacks into an attached sail cover held open by lazy jacks that zips up on top? I have no experience with the latter. I do have the former, however, and I honestly can't figure out if it's worth the hassle of zipping it up, dealing with seperated zippers, and being a tad unsightly under sail. I'm thinking about replacing it with a stock cover and using the lazy jacks to raise and drop the sail but retract them the rest of the time. That's what I did on my last boat, except the lazy jacks were fixed. Rick D.

Jun 7, 2004
Cape dory - Port Lavaca
The type that zips along the main

I'm reasonably certain it's the type that zips along the main. Is this something that should be a serious consideration with the purchase of the vessel, because of the need to replace after the purchase??? You replied you were thinking of replacing the system. Have you inquired in the cost of replacement? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. When sailing and you wish to "zip" the main, what is the necessary steps to "zip-up" the main. Thanks Don

Jun 7, 2004
Cape dory - Port Lavaca
Correction, Sorry, Zips to the Mast, not the main

Correction, Sorry, Zips to the Mast, not the main. Don

Status
Not open for further replies.