Zinks - how many and where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed

I have a 426 with a yanmar engine and Panda Gen Set. How many zinks are on the typical Hunter? Is there just one on the prop shaft? Or is there one integral to the engine, how about the gen set? Thanks for any insight, ED

D

Don Berger

zinc

No such thing as typical - it depends on the type engine, prop and genset. For example, my Yanmar has no zinc designed for it. My Maxprop has 2; one on the prop itself and one on the shaft which is "typical" for my setup. Same for the genset. Check out the design requirements for each Don

B

Bruce

Zincs

My 33.5 came with 2 on the shaft, one on the nut and 2 on the shaft strut. The engine has none.

J

Jim Willis

If you have "Spurs"

I had those great line-cutters on my boat, but there are SEPARATE zincs. THe one on the prop did not protect them and they were eaten away by corrosion. A a general rule then anything with a zinc should have the zinces replaced - our diver did not notice them and/or may have assumed that the prop zinc would do the trick. Thanks Jim W

T

Terry

Hi Ed, I put two zincs on the prop shaft of our...

1991 P42. They last about a year in our Puget Sound waters. The Yanmar main propulsion engine does not have sincs because it is a captive cooled system. Even though our 8kw Onan GenSet is captive cooled it has a pencil zinc in the heat exchanger, which I replaced what was left of it earlier this year. Terry

F

Fred G

2 on a yanmar 2QM-15

The Yanmar 2QM-15 in my 81 H30 uses 2 zincs. It is salt water cooled. One is on the front and one on the back. They are screwed in with square plugs sticking out of the engine. the plugs have a red sicker that says "Zinc" on it for easy identification on my motor.

B

Bryce Grefe

FP zinc

Ed, My FP mini 8 has a zinc in the cooling system. I've got three years on it but will replace this fall. Bryce S/V Spellbinder H410

Status
Not open for further replies.