Zine problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Al

Have a 95 Hunter 42 passage. Having problems keeping zines. Have about 4 lbs of zine - two on shaft one on strut and one on prop. Changing about every two months. Had a marine electrician (the best in the area) look at the problem - he couldnt find anything wrong. The zines are Mil spec. No one on the dock has the problems - checked around with others in the area and nothing. If you have the same problem and/or came up with the solution I wold like to hear. thanks al

A

Al

Have a 95 Hunter 42 passage. Having problems keeping zines. Have about 4 lbs of zine - two on shaft one on strut and one on prop. Changing about every two months. Had a marine electrician (the best in the area) look at the problem - he couldnt find anything wrong. The zines are Mil spec. No one on the dock has the problems - checked around with others in the area and nothing. If you have the same problem and/or came up with the solution I wold like to hear. thanks al

A

Al

A

Al

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Too Many?

I'm just wondering if you have too many zincs installed? I know that can be a big problem too. Was there something that prompted this many? I had one shaft zinc on my 40.5 in an older marina in Marina del Rey. I replaced zincs about every six weeks which was common on my dock. Since moving to new docks in Long Beach, I am replacing once a year. Stray currents could be the cause, but your guy should have checked for that. Good luck. Rick D.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Too Many?

I'm just wondering if you have too many zincs installed? I know that can be a big problem too. Was there something that prompted this many? I had one shaft zinc on my 40.5 in an older marina in Marina del Rey. I replaced zincs about every six weeks which was common on my dock. Since moving to new docks in Long Beach, I am replacing once a year. Stray currents could be the cause, but your guy should have checked for that. Good luck. Rick D.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Too Many?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Too Many?

TN

Sep 23, 2004
Catalina 350 Seattle, WA
galvanic isolator might be a first step

If you regularly keep the boat connected to shore power, did you confirm that a galvanic isolator is installed somewhere between the shore power connector (on the exterior of the boat) and the distribution panel? If you stay connected to shore power and do not have a galvanic isolator in that line, current flows back to the power post creating a circuit with the other boats on your dock. We eliminated a problem that sounds similar to yours by adding a galvanic isolator so current would not flow back up the power cord. That would be a first step. Nigel Calder's electrical and mechanical maintenance book is a good resource for this sort of issue. The local expert in my area is actually not an electrician, he calls himself a corrosion engineer.

TN

Sep 23, 2004
Catalina 350 Seattle, WA

If you regularly keep the boat connected to shore power, did you confirm that a galvanic isolator is installed somewhere between the shore power connector (on the exterior of the boat) and the distribution panel? If you stay connected to shore power and do not have a galvanic isolator in that line, current flows back to the power post creating a circuit with the other boats on your dock. We eliminated a problem that sounds similar to yours by adding a galvanic isolator so current would not flow back up the power cord. That would be a first step. Nigel Calder's electrical and mechanical maintenance book is a good resource for this sort of issue. The local expert in my area is actually not an electrician, he calls himself a corrosion engineer.

TN

Sep 23, 2004
Catalina 350 Seattle, WA

TN

Sep 23, 2004
Catalina 350 Seattle, WA

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Al, zincs last about 12 months in our small...

marina. Our P42 has a galvanic isolator installed behind the circuit breaker panel at the navigation station. I normally install two just on the prop shaft. Terry

Dec 25, 2000

marina. Our P42 has a galvanic isolator installed behind the circuit breaker panel at the navigation station. I normally install two just on the prop shaft. Terry

Dec 25, 2000

Dec 25, 2000

J

John

Gordon: Here is one of the articles from internet:

Quote: How do I calculate the number of anodes for my system? There are some fundamental steps, which must be applied in the design of a sacrificial anode system. However this is a guideline only, each application is different. 1) Area to be protected needs to be calculated. 2) Polarized potential. NACE Standard RP-01-69 states that for a steel structure in a neutral environment, polarization to -0.85 V versus Cu-saturated CuSO4, is required to protect the structure. The current density needed to achieve this potential is used in the design of the system. 3) Current demand. This is calculated as a product of required current density and area. The current demand varies for steel in various environments, thus it is important to assess the different environments steel may be exposed to and complete separate calculation for each environment. 4) Anode consumption. Total required weight of anodes is determined from known consumption rates for the calculated current demand. Consumption is necessary in order to supply current for protection. 5) ............... Unquote Or we are not on the same boat?

J

John

Quote: How do I calculate the number of anodes for my system? There are some fundamental steps, which must be applied in the design of a sacrificial anode system. However this is a guideline only, each application is different. 1) Area to be protected needs to be calculated. 2) Polarized potential. NACE Standard RP-01-69 states that for a steel structure in a neutral environment, polarization to -0.85 V versus Cu-saturated CuSO4, is required to protect the structure. The current density needed to achieve this potential is used in the design of the system. 3) Current demand. This is calculated as a product of required current density and area. The current demand varies for steel in various environments, thus it is important to assess the different environments steel may be exposed to and complete separate calculation for each environment. 4) Anode consumption. Total required weight of anodes is determined from known consumption rates for the calculated current demand. Consumption is necessary in order to supply current for protection. 5) ............... Unquote Or we are not on the same boat?

J

John

J

John

Status
Not open for further replies.