ZincSaver problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George Kornreich

I added a pair of ZincSaver galvanic isolators just last fall, but I am hearing rumors of these running hot if conducting current and maybe causing a couple of fires. Has anyone had a problem with these or known first hand of any nastiness? I hate to pull them out, but would do so before setting a boat aflame! Thanks George Kornreich

A

Alex

It is an interesting question..

,, since nowdays it is advised -for boats hooked regulary to shore power- to install such device to protect their zincs, and electrics, but overheating might be a major safety hazard. Proffesional Mariner ( and just few others) make them . They come in several AMP sizes , one has to make sure it is rated high enough for its electric need and current flow. Any owner experience is welcome.

G

George Kornreich

Hi, Alex

The Zinc Saver that I mentioned is the product made by Professional Mariner. George

P

Pete

"Zinc savers"

George, a couple of years ago, I installed a galvanic isolator (zinc saver) on my 430. After much investigation, I found that there was only one that was UL approved, and that was distributed, at least here in Florida, by the Chrysler boat dealer. There is no amperage rating, since the unit is installed in-line in the shore ground lead(s). Mine does not get warm at all.

A

Alex

Professional Mariner..

..told me they should have a new version on the market in spring , that will also show the status of the unit , and the polarity. Since such unit is wired on the shore ground wire , it shouldn't have current on it ( except for this very little occasional galvanic one , which it should stop ) and so it shouldn't get hot. Only in emergency , it will allow significant current thru it to avoid electric shock .

B

Bruce

My marine electrician said ...

The marine electrician that I used said that some of the earlier ones had the overheating problem but that the newer ones should be OK. The theory makes sense to me and I installed one on my boat. Will be interested in seeing more knowledgeable posts here.

Status
Not open for further replies.