Zincs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
I have been unable to find any reference in the owner's manuals or to physically locate any zincs on my Yanmar 4JH4E (55HP) diesel. Are there any?

Thanks

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Probably not. My 4JHE has none nor did my 3GM.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Fresh water

If it's fresh water cooled than no need,but need zincs on the prop shaft.
Nick

Oct 2, 2008
Hunter 420 cheseapeake
Yanmar will tell you there are no disimilar metals in the heat exchanger and therefore no need for zincs.

Jul 1, 2004
Hunter 40 St. Petersburg
Oh yeah. Except for maybe

oh, say, the copper tube assembly that fits inside a cast iron housing with cast aluminum caps held with stainless steel fasteners.

Nope. No dissimilar metals there.

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
My Hunter 36 is in a "hot" marina, and my dealer has recommended that if I leave the boat idle in there for a month or more, I should purchase a "zinc fish" and wire her to the engine ground. This will supposedly keep my prop zincs from deteriorating too fast.
Where should I install the business end of the cable?

Jan 25, 2006
Hunter 386 Vancouver Canada
My Hunter 36 is in a "hot" marina, and my dealer has recommended that if I leave the boat idle in there for a month or more, I should purchase a "zinc fish" and wire her to the engine ground. This will supposedly keep my prop zincs from deteriorating too fast.
Where should I install the business end of the cable?
I attached an alligator clip to the inside end and ran the cable thru a small hatch (under the dodger). I clip the cable to the prop shaft at the engine end. Don't you think that this is better for protecting the prop than attaching it to an engine ground?

Since I am also in a hot marina, I also use 3 shaft zincs which still have to be changed at my annual haulout.

Steve

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
I attached an alligator clip to the inside end and ran the cable thru a small hatch (under the dodger). I clip the cable to the prop shaft at the engine end. Don't you think that this is better for protecting the prop than attaching it to an engine ground?

Since I am also in a hot marina, I also use 3 shaft zincs which still have to be changed at my annual haulout.

Steve
I ended up consulting the manager of the commissioning yard for my boat, who told me that, "since everything is bonded in" in my Hunter 36, I didn't need to go all the way to the drive shaft. He located a bolt for the traveller arch inside the port aft cockpit locker. I clipped it there, secured the line to the port taffrail and sent the fish a swimming. That keeps the clip out of the elements.
He advised that I have the boat dived on in 6 months, (she's in the water 12/12 months) to determine zinc wear, and go from there. There are two shaft zincs on my prop shaft.

May 6, 2004
Hunter 37C Seattle
Bonding is pretty rare

But if you are bonded then you will have wires runing to your thru hulls/valves unless Marlon. Seems like the arch isn't connected to anything, so question terminating the fish zinc there.

shaft zincs last about 6-8 months in puget sound. My fish zinc terminates on a convient bolt on the engine - don't have to remove to run engine. I just bought a chunk of zinc and made up a "fish" so save some money on the moulded fish that look like a fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.