Zincs on your Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aldo

Has anyone put zincs onto their trailer? I have been thinking about this for a long time, but am starting to think about it more seriously after reading the article the other day about how expensive it would be to replace a trailer. Also, I will be adding patches to one of my fenders, since it broke the other day when I stepped up onto it. Thanks, Aldo

H

Herb

how long is the trailer in the water

Hi Aldo My question would be how long is the trailer actually in the water. 5 mins max would be my thought and then out it comes to get washed down with fresh water. Would you actually get any protection from a zinc. I am interested to hear others thoughts on the idea Herb

B

Bayard Gross

Washing more important than zincs

Since the trailer doesn't sit in the water very long, I don't think zincs will help much as they really work better in water to disipate electrons properly. The best action after dunking the trailer is thorough washing with fresh water. I would use something like Petit's trailer coat on the springs which are are usually not galvanized. Further, it you have the type of bearings with the grease fitting in the wheel hub, you may want to grease these fittings after going into water to remove any water that got into the bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.