Zincs on Yanmar - Hunter 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gary A

I was looking around trying to find the place to change the internal zincs on my 1983 Hunter 34's Yanmar. It looks like there are a few things that would need to be removed from the side of the engine in order to do this. Is this something that you other H34 owners do, or do you hire it done, or do you just pretend they don't need to be changed? Any advice? Gary

P

Paul Akers

Check First...

Check first if you have zincs on the engine. If you have a fresh water cooled engine, you won't have zincs. Only raw water cooled engined do. Your engine model number will tell you. For example, if you have a 3HM35F model, the last character ("F") means "fresh water cooled". If there is no alpha character, then it is raw water cooled.

J

John K Kudera

No Zincs

If you have a 3GMF it is fresh water cooled and there are no zincs that need changing. John

M

Mike Butler

Zincs in Model 2GM20F

I just purchased a zinc for my Yanmar model # 2GM20F. This engine model is cooled by fresh water (anti freeze up here) which in turn is cooled by sea water via a heat exchanger. According to my Yanmar engine manual and I quote " The metal area of the seawater cooling system is prone to electrical corrosion. The anticorrosion zinc is installed in the cylinder block and/or cylinder head to prevent this. The anticorrosion zinc is itself reduced over time by electrical corrosion, so it must be replaced at fixed intervals before it is completely consumed in order to ensure that the metal area of the seawater cooling system remains fully protected." This is a new engine (year 2000) and may differ from your model. But I would check with a reputable mecanic if I were you. Engines are expensive.

P

Paul Akers

Nerwr models?

Maybe the newer models have the zincs? I, too, was repeating what I read in my Yanmar manual for the 3HM35F. There could be a difference.

R

R DEUTSCH

Zincs

I have a new hunter and I checked with a dealer and he said this engine does not have any zincs

M

Mike Butler

No Zincs

Hi Gary, As it turns out my model 2GM20F does NOT require internal zincs. The clerk at the Yanmar dealer erred when selling me engine zincs. I have since returned them and received a refund. I phoned a Yanmar mechanic out in Sidney and he confirmed to me (as in the other postings) that fresh water cooled Yanmars do not have internal zincs. I went back to the local dealer and watched as he looked it up in the parts manual. Sure enough, there are no zincs required for the 2GM20F. So thats one less item off my Spring To-Do list. Regards, Mike B.

Status
Not open for further replies.