zincs on prop

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alans

hi does the hunter 310 require zincs on prop shaft. we sail in salt water and boat is in water for 8 months. thanks alan

B

Bill O'Donovan

Yes

On the shaft, actually, not the prop. Likely one-inch diameter. Avail at any ships store. Diver may be able to attach.

Lyle

Jun 26, 2004
Hunter Passage 42 Pt Roberts, WA
prop shaft zinc

You can do it easily with a snorkel and mask and an Allen wrench (and a wet suit if you sail where I do!). If you have room for it on the shaft I would use 2 zincs.

N

nick maggio

Yes you need to put zincs

You need to add zincs to your shaft and check them each year,you will be hauling for winter on the hard I am sure so clean shaft and prop and add new zincs before spring launch.

J

J Cianflone

Check your engine zinc also

If your engine is raw water cooled it should have an internal zinc that will need to be inspected and replaced

abe

Jan 2, 2007
- - channel islands
No internal Zinc on Yanmar 3gm raw water...

as least not in my late model 3gm. If anyone knows otherwise let me know...but I have been reasured over and over again...no zinc. abe

Oct 3, 2005
Catalina 387 Hampton, VA
Don't lose the alan wrench!

If you have a saw and a drill, take a block of wood that you can hold in your hand. about 1.5X1.5 and 6" or so long. drill in the end about 1/2 the length of the allen wrench. then on one side drill in so you hit the other hole. saw down the drill hole you made with a hand saw until you get to the other hole. Now you should be able to "pop" the allen wrench into this. Use a hose clamp to lock the sawn end closed. You now have a floating handle on the allen wrench so you do not have it fall to Nemo when you put on the zinc!

Mar 1, 2005
Hunter 34 North East, MD
Doghouse & others...

it's a lot easier to do it on land when you haul out. Dropping anything lands at your feet, not Neptune's. LOL!

D

doghouse

True if you pull every year!

I don't pull every year, but do have to add zinc. It was much easier and less expensive to go swimming. Fun part will be doing it in the spring as I forgot to clean the through hulls!

Mar 1, 2005
Hunter 34 North East, MD
Doghouse...

What bottom paint are you using at the south end of the Bay that allows you to stay in the water for more than a year without repainting?

Status
Not open for further replies.