Zincs for Hunter 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 19, 2010
Hunter 38 Boston, MA
When I hauled my 2006 Hunter 38 last year the prop shaft Zincs were completely gone, Can anyone give me a quick answer on prop shaft size on Hunter 38 so I can grap a couple of new Zincs before I launch.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
If it really is a 1 in shaft which I doubt, you would use a 1 in zinc collar. The reason I question the prop size is that the 40 and 40.5 and 41 all use 1 and 1/4 in shafts so I'd suggest you verify

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Zincs

If it was me I would bring different size Zincs along just in case and just return the ones not used but they pretty much said 1-1/4.
Don't forget to screw them on and tap with hammer a few times and tighten and tap and tighten and tap with hammer.
Nick

Oct 10, 2008
Catalina 445 Yorktown
Once you determine the correct shaft size, it's wise to check the zincs periodically. In my case, I put one new zinc on the shaft every 6 months. That's once when I haul the boat for its annual "look see" and once by the diver in the Fall. The zincs are about 50% OK, but I change them regardless. Not having a sacrificial zinc means the metal in your prop and shaft become the victims of electrolysis. Not good, as zincs are cheap compared to a replacement prop and shaft..

May 19, 2010
Hunter 38 Boston, MA
Thanks for all you help, Prop Shaft is indeed 1 1/4 for the H38. Boat goes in this Saturday for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.