Zinc replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2008
Hunter 31 Port San Luis, CA
I want to replace the zincs on my 1984 Hunter 31 (Yanmar 2GMF). I know there is a collar zinc on the prop shaft but I'm not sure of other zincs and their locations. Can someone help me with the locations and a good source to purchase them?

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Your boat is fresh water cooled by the F indication in your description. That means you have an anti freeze circuit. That also means no saltwater through the block which is a really great thing. If you look at your manual you will see the dead bolts for where you "should have a zinc" in your engine block. That being said, some say you can have a zinc in your heat exchanger housing. I do not prescribe to this theory. The other zincs are on the end of your prop shaft ( tip of the prop) and one on the prop shaft itself(collar). You occasionally fiind a button zinc on the strut.

So there ya have it...
Good sailing!

You can purchase them at any chandlery or you can do what say "most " of us do and that is hire a diver to clean your hull monthly and monitor and change your zincs as needed.(buck a foot in SAN) They get them in bulk. The savings on bottom paint freshening alone is worth the cost IMHO(5 years out of my last botton job).

Oh yeah, if you dont have a galvonic isolator, you should consider. Will save you from the "hot boats" around you. And from yourself.

Nov 9, 2008
Hunter 31 Port San Luis, CA
zincs

Your boat is fresh water cooled by the F indication in your description. That means you have an anti freeze circuit. That also means no saltwater through the block which is a really great thing. If you look at your manual you will see the dead bolts for where you "should have a zinc" in your engine block. That being said, some say you can have a zinc in your heat exchanger housing. I do not prescribe to this theory. The other zincs are on the end of your prop shaft ( tip of the prop) and one on the prop shaft itself(collar). You occasionally fiind a button zinc on the strut.

So there ya have it...
Good sailing!

You can purchase them at any chandlery or you can do what say "most " of us do and that is hire a diver to clean your hull monthly and monitor and change your zincs as needed.(buck a foot in SAN) They get them in bulk. The savings on bottom paint freshening alone is worth the cost IMHO(5 years out of my last botton job).

Oh yeah, if you dont have a galvonic isolator, you should consider. Will save you from the "hot boats" around you. And from yourself.
So I assume that the shaft is 1". Can't find any lit that tells me the size. Also what size is the end zinc on the prop?

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
So I assume that the shaft is 1". Can't find any lit that tells me the size. Also what size is the end zinc on the prop?
You are correct, your Hunter 31 has a 1" shaft. If it has a cap zinc on the prop, it will be a "C" cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.