Zinc replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Garrison

Hi. I recently purchased a 1986 Catalina 30SR. The boat was hauled in July of 2000 (prior to my purchasing) and the shaft zincs were replaced at that time. The boat was mooored in saltwater for about 4 months and has been in fresh for 3 months. Is it time to replace the zincs again? How will I know when the zincs should be replaced? The boat will be moved back to saltwater in a month and will remain there indefinetly. Can I adopt a regular time period for zinc replacement or do I need to use some other method of determining when it's time to replace the zincs? Thanks, David s/v Kindred Spirit

D

Dave

zincs

Hi David: When the zinc starts to look pretty ratty and is reduced in size by about 1/3 replace it. They are not expensive and are easy to replace. Make sure the brass "knob" on the inside makes good contact with clean metal on the shaft and you will be fine. Dave S/V Westwind

D

David Garrison

Thanks, but...

Thanks for your reply Dave. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but aren't the shaft zincs on the portion of the shaft that extends into the water? If so, how can I see them? Also, how exactly is a shaft zinc replaced? Where is a good source for purchasing the zincs? Do I just ask for zincs for a 1986 Catalina 30 or is it by a certain size or diameter? Thanks for the help. David s/v Kindred Spirit

D

Dave

zincs again

Hi David: Sorry, being from Michigan, I assume everybody hauls their boat out of the water once a year. You can buy them at West Marine or any supply house. You have a 1" shaft and they run about 8-9 bucks. I have heard of using a mirror on a stick to check underside, but have not done it myself. When it warms up, take a swim. Unless you can hold your breath a lot longer than me, you will have to haul out to replace, or get a diver. Without excess stray current in marina, zinc should last a couple of years, but should be checked at end of 1 yr. Good luck Dave S/V Westwind

R

Ron

Zinc replacement intervals

Once a month I have the bottom cleaned by a dive service. $25. He inspects both zincs. I have mine replaced at least twice a year. Another $20 for zinc replacement. It really depends on the stray electrical currents at your dock and location. Zincs are easy to replace. If you like it under your boat, You can get a length of hose and a mask. Attach one end to a stanchion and the other is (your breather tube). Usually 3 minutes will be long enough to remove and replace each zinc. Sorry I can't hold my breath that long!

J

Jeff Walker

I only get 6 months from zinc's

I have a fairly "hot" dock (stray electricity in the water) and my zinc usage is high. I would also recommend putting a zinc on the strut. That one is good for a couple of years but I do see deterioration so it is doing it's job. The most important zinc, in my mind, is is the one in the heat exchanger. I let that one go too long and my exchanger rusted out and sent seawater through the engine block and also caused frequent overheating before I figured it out. Hope this helps, Jeff

D

David

Heat Exchanger

How do you replace the zinc in the heat exchanger? Is that an easy process?

J

Jeff Walker

Heat exchanger zinc

It's real easy, the zinc is on the lower left side of the exchanger. It's a "pencil" zinc that looks like a bolt from the outside. Just unscrew it and get a replacement at any marine store. Costs about $4 as I remember. My engine is a Universal M-25 so the location may vary with other engines. I also believe Yanmar engines do not have these zincs. Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.