Zinc replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim

I have a Yanmar 2GM20F engine. I keep the boat in the water year round and use an eletric heater to keep the boat from freezing in the winter. How many zincs do I need to replace annually?? Where are they located ??

S

Steve O.

zincs

The only zinc you have to worry about is the one on your shaft. The 2GM20F does not have any engine zincs, it being freshwater cooled. But if you leave your shorepower on for the heater (or refrig, or battery charging, or whatever) you run more risk of electrolosis (sp?) so its important to keep an eye on that shaft zinc. BTW, that should be a 1" shaft.

J

jim

Ordering Zinc Replacement

Anyone knows where can I order the zinc replacement used on the drive shaft?? I look at the Yanmar online but they don't seem to carry it. Thanks

S

Steve O.

more zincs

Any marine store should have them. Try West Marine, BoatUS, etc.

T

Tom Lukas

28.5 zincs

I use 2-1" oval zincs on the shaft just aft of where it exits the hull. When I haul out at the end of October, the zincs are about 1/2 gone. I replace them yearly. They're about $6.00 each at most marine stores. Make sure you clean the shaft of all paint where the zincs will clamp and that the zinc has the small ball inside that rests against the shaft, sometimes they fall out and you might not get good contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.