Zinc my swing keel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Monica

I keep my 25 swing keel Catalina in the marina year round, Do i need to zinc? I was chatting with some fellows that said it was a must to zinc, and another said he had never heard of it. The one fellow said that if i dont zinc it could cause a lot of damage to the wire and he pins....Can anyone help me? Im not sure what heeds to be done.

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
Never hear of a Zinc on the keel

Lead keel or iron? Keep a good coat of barrier paint on it.

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
Zinc it

Monica: Presuming your boat is in salt water at the marina, I recommend putting on a zink on your iron keel. Be sure it is screwed into the metal, that is not glued onto the outside paint. I'm not sure who wins in the iron vrs brass vrs stainless steel ionic battle going on, but its certainly better to have the throwaway zinc be the loser. RK

Aldo

Jan 27, 2005
Catalina 22 Middle River, MD
Check the Archives

Monica: I recommend that you check the Archives. I have written about this subject many times. Just type "zincs" and "22" for the model of boat. You will find plenty to read on this subject. My zinc's get eaten away every summer, and I am only in brackish water. I have read many times on this forum about the cast iron keels wearing away. I don't think that they are wearing away, I think that they are eaten away by galvanic corrosion of the dissimilar metals, the silicon bronze of the keel pin vs. the cast iron of the keel. My C-22 Owner's Manual recommends putting zincs onto the keel. Aldo

Status
Not open for further replies.