Zinc for Heat Exchanger

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Hatter

I recently discovered, by reading other articles, that the heath exchanger on my CAtalina 34 has a pencil zinc that periodically needs to be replaced. While I was standing on my head checking the fluid level in my transmission, I inspected the heat exchanger. Anyone want to talk me through how to locate the zinc? I'm guessing it is on the bottom. But I also noticed that there were bolt heads on each end as well. Also, do I need to drain anything prior to removing the zinc? The folks who produce the owners manual at Universal don't seem to overwhelm you with details. Thanks for your Help

R

Robert

Zinc

My pencil zinc on the Universal M20 is on the starboard side of the heat exchanger. I looks like a regular hex head bolt.

R

rp

zinc whereabouts

If you look at the heat exchanger from the vantage point you mentioned while checking the trans fluid level, look at the bottom of the heat exchanger on the right side. The side where your fuel hose leads in. There you'll see a bolt coming out, which is right next to a petcock. That is the pencil zinc. Get a wrench and unscrew it. Some water will come out but not alot. I usually take the zinc out with one hand, and with the other, put my finger to plug up the hole while I grab the new zinc. I wrap the threads of the new zinc with teflon tape to seal the threads. I'm not sure what model engine you have, but mine is a M35BC. I believe in the owner's manual, Universal does a pretty good job of showing where it is (maybe you have an older engine?) Rp.

B

Bob

Just a thought

Wouldn't wrapping the zinc's threads with Teflon isolate it from the metal components of the exchanger , therefore making it useless?

J

John Visser

Tape not good on zincs

The zinc will no twork unless it has good electrical conductivity to the heat exchanger. Teflon tape shouldn't be used as it will insulate the zinc.

Status
Not open for further replies.