Zahara

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Ew, that's a MacGregor 26X.

Oh, wait, you probably meant the boat on this side of the fairway. Don't know what that one is but it's much prettier.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I don’t know what it is but I bet you bought it from the Zaxby’s guy

Feb 11, 2017
Nope, not a Bob Perry leaky teaky. Made in the good ol' USA.
Here's a hint: By "rare" I mean only about 50 hulls made. "On this side of the pond" refers to the Med, specifically Med Spain.
Try harder :)

Feb 11, 2017
Pretty boat. Shannon 28?
Bravo :) :) :) Well done, Tom. A man who knows his boats. 1983 Shannon 28, Hull # 54 of 55. No idea how or when this rare little beauty arrived in the Med, but we found her in eastern Spain near the border of France. Got the original American owners' names from Shannon but, after that, her history is a mystery. A perfect Med summer cruiser for us.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It looks much bigger than 28'. Congrats, Greg.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats Greg on a nice boat. Lets see more pictures of her.
Well done Tom. But of course to be expected.... Tom is one of the boat whisperers.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Very nice boat Greg. Looks like a great Med cruiser.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I crossed aboard a Shannon 50 in 1986. Does that count for anything? Very beautiful boats. There there was another Shannon 50 crossing at the same time, between Bermuda and the Azores, with a bunch of colleges kids onboard. Ours was named Absolute and the harbor masters in Portugal and the Azores would pronounce the 'e' on the end with such zeal. "Ahoy, AbsolutAY!"
What a great trip.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 11, 2017
Interior looking aft.jpeg
Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I doubt Zahara arrived here on her own keel, or has had much ocean service in her life. There is no evidence of a windvane ever having been installed, and her cosmetic condition indicates a lot of pampering and probably very little sea time. She came with a brand new genoa, but I took it down and put the original 1983 Yankee back on which is still, surprisingly, in very good condition. That speaks volumes. I'm intrigued by her mysterious past but have hit a brick wall in learning more.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think you have yourself a fantastic boat in Zahara. I don't know those boats, but if she is anything at all like the Shannon 50, you will be very comfortable at sea in her. My guess is she is capable of going anywhere you want to go. I particularly like cutter rigs. My only complaint about the 50 was, with the club footed jib, her foredeck got a little crowded. Below, she was awesome for five people.
I hope to read more about your further adventures with Zahara.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Hagar

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 42 Olympia Washington
Beautiful boat, Greg. What a contrast to that "thing" across the walkway. Oops, showing my bias and probably insulting someone's pride and joy but I'm a bit traditional when it comes to sailboat design. I could fall in love with Zahara if I wasn't already in a long-term relationship! Have a wonderful time.

John P

Feb 11, 2017
Hey Greg, finally found your boat, congratulations. Piscator is currently in Tunisia after a dust-up at Marina de Ragusa in Sicily, we are in Vermont, but headed back to the boat in a couple weeks, headed out of the Med to the Cape Verdes by December and then back across.
Best of luck with the new boat.

Feb 11, 2017
Hola John,
Was wondering where you guys might be this summer. Dust ups in Sicily usually don't end well. Sounds like you may have a lively story to tell. Would love to hear it. Give a shout when you get to Spain. Hopefully we can get together again either in Valencia or the Balearics somewhere.
Fair winds and best regards.