YSM 12 RPM QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ian McGain

Question to the owners of 30' Hunters with YSM12's as the power source. What is the advisable top rpm setting for crusing? I take mine up to 22 but have gone to 25 when running against the tide. I would like to know if you can go to a higher rpm setting without creating a problem for my engine. Many thanks Ian McGain s/v Meant to Be '79 Hunter 30'

M

mike

you have a tach?

i have a '76 hunter 30. my has no tach. my cruising speed is set when i place the throttle even with the gear shift lever in forward, btw, i have throttle and gear mounted on side of cockpit. is it possible to mount on pedestal?? i beleive i have a ys steering. regards, mike (no name yet, just got $50 ticket from westrec

I

Ian Sanderson

YSM 12 RPM question

I would guess that the tach on your boat was added by a previous owner. I've never known one of these boats to have a tach. I have a three-bladed prop with the same diameter and pitch as the stock two bladed-prop. I have always run it all the way open until it puts out black smoke and then I back it off until it doesn't smoke anymore. Mack Boring in Baltimore told me to do that.

B

Butch Beard

RPMs

Recently had my YSM12 rebuilt. Mechanic and everything I read say to run em. These guys were not made to loaf. I have 79 30. I have to give it a lot of throttle or I never get anywhere. With clean prop and boat it should run wide open with no black smoke. I usually run at about 90%. A good test is the temp guage if you have one. Mine never runs above 130.

M

mike

butch, you have a temp gauge!

boy!, im really missing out!! regards, mike

I

Ian McGain

Mike- tach

Mike I have a tach, amp meter, and volt meter built in under the traveller. I also have red buttons for oil pressure, high temp, and low battery on the Yamar key start switch, along with horn. I have the YS (Yacht Specialty) Meriman type pedestal. The forward and reverse lever is port side plus the throttle is on the starboard side which are built into the pedastal. There is also a small button for the wheel lock (available from this web site) which I have not retrofitted as yet. Ian

I

Ian McGain

Butch-where is your temp guage?

Butch What type of temp guage do you have and how is it wired to the engine? Thanks Ian

M

mike

ian, can you post picture?

under my traveler i have only the yanmar plate with key switch and lube and charge light. doesn't suprise me too much because i think i have a no frills model. alot o f formica where on others i seen have teak (bulkhead in front of salon)!, yellow formica etc. front hatch had a fiberglass cover (until i lost it) and mid hatch is cheap plastic that i am scared i will fall through. but i love the boat thnks regards, mike

B

Butch Beard

temp gauge

I installed it immediately after I bought the boat. I was having trouble with overheat. It was a classic mixing elbow problem. Previous owner had installed fresh water cooling. Temp would run up before rebuild if I was pushing too hard. After rebuild, I went back to raw water cooling. Temp never gets over 130. To install I had to change temp sending unit from on-off to temp. I belive it was a part out of the Yanmar parts cat. Then a single wire from sending unit to standard water temp guage. It is very comforting to know the temp of the engine.

J

John Thomas

Run it hard!

My 79 H30 has the YSM12, and I run it around 90% most of the time. I have also run it wide open for an hour or two at a time, no sweat. I have no gauges, just the Yanmar idiot panel. I wish I had real gauges, and a smoother running engine!

B

Bill Edmundson

Diesels

A manager at one of the big big big diesel companies once told me that a diesel will run forever at 85%.

I

Ian McGain

Mike- forward e-mail address

Mike Send me your e-mail address because my jpegs are to big for this site. Ian imcgain@griffinmail.com

I

Ian McGain

What setting is 85%+90%

How do you judge what is 85% of the top setting. By tack or full throttle and back off a bit? Thanks Ian

I

Ian McGain

chasing down the temperature sender

From Torresen Marine, Inc., 3126 Lakeshore Drive, Muskegon, MI 49441 Ike Stephenson 231-759-8596 --- 231-755-1522 FAX The answer to the questions on a temperature kit. There is not a single part per se. You would need to purchase a gauge and also a new sender. The current alarm system works via a switch which turns on only at a given temperature. You will need to convert this to a sender which gives the gauge a steady reading. The current fitting you have is as discussed a switch and not a sender. To set things up in a 'T' you need to make certain that water is flowing to both sender and switch. This can be tough to accomplish. We generally don't reccomend doing something like a T, rather going with the simpler solution of either a gauge or an alarm. A new sender sells for $ 15.30, with a gauge at $ 39.76. It's a 2.25 inch round dial, not lit. Yes, it can be cockpit mounted. Sender screws into same place as existing switch. With new sender you will then have gauge only, current alarm will not work. Ian s/v Meant to Be

B

Butch Beard

As described

I switched over just as described. My temp guage is mounted near companionway so it is easily within sight from the helm. It is one of the few guages that works well on the boat. Besides the alarm crapped out when I left the instruments on one too many times at the Marina. Now I have to pay attention to depth and temp.

I

Ian McGain

Final word on this subject

I just went to order the part and received the following infomation............ "Turns out that the gauge I advised would work. However, your engine runs at a temperature of around 100 degrees, which is where the gauge starts. IE- it would not be of any use. At this point, I'd advise against the purchase of a gauge and apologize for not catching this earlier." I spend enough money on the boat without spending additional that will not tell me anything. Ian s/v Meant to Be

B

Bill Edmundson

RPM

Set by tach. But, the rule of thumb that others have stated (black smoke and back off is pretty close).

Status
Not open for further replies.