Your gripes and likes on V17's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
I would like to hear what you owners past and present have to say about your Venture 17's. I am in the stage of rebuilding mine where I can fix many issues. I havent had a chance to sail mine yet so I would like your input. That said, what sucks and what doesn't??:snooty:
Ex. standing rig, running rig, sheet angles, hardware placement and type, anchoring (rollers, type, weight, etc...), rudder/tiller issues, winch and centerboard issues, stability, anything really.
Does it sail close to the wind? Why or why not or what can I do to make it better.
My sail inventory at the moment is a pretty close to stock main and a stock jib.

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
Macgregor 22 Alexandria, VA
I own a V22, not a 17, but I'll suggest running all the lines to the cockpit to make singlehanding more enjoyable and manageable. If you can get to everything important without moving around too much, that's key. Having good storage for your gear, so everything has its place, is also important.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
K, you might want to ask on this board... too.

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/macgregor/index.cgi/#47770

What catches my eye on the V17 is no lifelines. Going forward, offshore will be tricky. maybe a low centerline hand rail, or hand rails on the 'rail'

-and something to hold a BBQ on the stern. I seldom use my camp stove, but use the magma all the time, for any and everything, including making coffee. (maybe flush mount rod holders for a gas grill insert)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I also have a V22 so... my answers are not based upon actual knowledge of your boat. I have also owned two V21s...After sailing my V22 in some heavy chop one summer, and having to go forward to change the head sail in 28mph wind and 4' chop, I installed a down haul system for my head sail. The best mod I have ever made!!! And cheap. I just got a couple of cheap blocks from tractor supply. I attached one to the chain plate at the bow with a shackle and the others are attached at the bow pulpit & shroud using those cable ties (zip strips). I think the entire mod cost me less than $10 but it makes taking down a head sail, and keeping it under control, something I can do from the cockpit. Once the big sail is down and the boat is less crazy, I can go forward and put up a smaller head sail.

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
Will check that other forum. Like the ideas, keep em coming. I am out busting my @ss on this thing today. Gettting closer.

Apr 5, 2010
Catalina 27- 1984 Grapevine
It's a shame. I still count the V17 as my favorite sailiing boat of all. I went out on really crappy days when the C22 guys wouldn't venture from their slips. It is only about 800# so easy to trailer, and I could rig and launch in 20 minutes easy. I used jam cleats on top of cockpit for my jib lines, had the main rigged to the stern via a Rube Goldberg/ Ace Hardware setup that worked great. And you definitely want a tiller extension, I actually used an axe handle for mine. I didn't have any pulpit or lifelines on mine and didn't really miss having them. This is a great boat, and there are not that many of them around so treasure yours and enjoy.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Guess I wont be having any big turnout V17 regattas!! :)
Well getting a 17 is still high on my list and might happen so maybe a turnout of 2 at some point ;). We've taken a Mac to Florida, so I guess it will be your turn to bring one to Utah :),

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Endeavour 37[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our MacGregor S Pages[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mac-Venture Links[/FONT]

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
Sounds good! I will be there this summer for a family thing. May have to check the boat, probably won't fit in the overhead bin.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
We will be in Provo, you are in st George right.
Nope we are in the SE corner, 70 miles south of Moab, near Arches and Canyonlands National Parks and can see Monument Valley to the south of us in Arizona and Mesa Verde over in Colo. to the east and Natural Bridges to the west. Also Shiprock in New Mexico over 90 miles away.

We are on a high mesa at 6000 feet and can see a long ways :). In fact looking to the east at Telluride and then down past Monument valley we are looking at almost a distance of 300 miles. Further than if you looked across Florida.

We are about 270 miles from Provo. We were there a few weeks back and might have to go back over the next couple weeks.

So if you get down this way be sure and let us know,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Endeavour 37[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Our MacGregor S Pages[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mac-Venture Links[/FONT]

Sep 16, 2011
Venture 17 Hollywood,FL
That's a cool area, I spent a lot of time exploring that part of the world. If we get down there, we will stop and see you.

Status
Not open for further replies.