your experiences with boat police???

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I interrupt this discussion of signal flares to note that another titan of American automobile racing has passed, Dan Gurney. The American Eagle. He designed race cars, he raced them and he won at home and abroad. That GT40 Ford sweep at LeMans...

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
On the Chesapeake I never saw a sailboat pulled over. I have seen countless powerboats get stopped however. Mostly in the inner harbor for wake violations.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
I wasn't going to post this tale, as it might give others an idea to try it, but I think the USCG would just blow you out of the water today, so I suggest you don't.
I was crossing the Gulfstream at night in a norther of around 15 knots with perhaps 15 foot seas, on a 55' black steel schooner, registered in Panama (Italian owner), from Nassau to Lauderdale, when a hundred odd foot USCG cutter approached us, demanding we heave to for boarding. It was pretty much the height of the cocaine cowboy drug years, and I could understand how this black, steel schooner might be of interest to them, but there was no way on earth that my boss's boat would survive having that cutter lay alongside in those conditions! At the very least we would be dismasted.
I spoke courteously to the commander on the radio, explaining my misgivings of his intended actions, but he just blew them off, once again demanding that we strike sail and heave to, to be boarded. Again I pleaded that he launch an inflatable instead of laying alongside, but he replied that it was much too rough to launch his inflatable.
I politely refused his order and told him he could accompany us to Lauderdale if he pleased, but as master of this sailing vessel, I would not heave to nor allow him to lay his cutter alongside my vessel, citing safety concerns. He became incensed and began threatening us and I saw little recourse but to get on channel 16 and begin broadcasting a mayday. "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, this is schooner Maere on channel 16. I am being boarded by pirates on a big white vessel with an orange stripe, with the numbers XX on the bow." This further infuriated this idiot, and he ordered me to return to channel 22 and prepare to be boarded. I ignored him and continued broadcasting the mayday until we tied up at Pier 66 in Lauderdale. He followed closely behind, but made no move to board us until we were tied up, boat undamaged, when he sent his squad of jackbooted thugs with M-16's to handcuff us and thoroughly search the boat. Funnily enough, after the trip from St. Thomas to Nassau, and the trip across the stream, we didn't even have so much as a cigarette or beer on board, and he left with nothing more than a very tired crew and a very bored sniffer dog, after about 4 hours of searching every nook and cranny of that boat. We cleared into the states and never heard word one from the USCG, though we were the talk of the yachting community for a few minutes, at least.
I wasn't going to post this tale, as it might give others an idea to try it, but I think the USCG would just blow you out of the water today, so I suggest you don't.
I was crossing the Gulfstream at night in a norther of around 15 knots with perhaps 15 foot seas, on a 55' black steel schooner, registered in Panama (Italian owner), from Nassau to Lauderdale, when a hundred odd foot USCG cutter approached us, demanding we heave to for boarding. It was pretty much the height of the cocaine cowboy drug years, and I could understand how this black, steel schooner might be of interest to them, but there was no way on earth that my boss's boat would survive having that cutter lay alongside in those conditions! At the very least we would be dismasted.
I spoke courteously to the commander on the radio, explaining my misgivings of his intended actions, but he just blew them off, once again demanding that we strike sail and heave to, to be boarded. Again I pleaded that he launch an inflatable instead of laying alongside, but he replied that it was much too rough to launch his inflatable.
I politely refused his order and told him he could accompany us to Lauderdale if he pleased, but as master of this sailing vessel, I would not heave to nor allow him to lay his cutter alongside my vessel, citing safety concerns. He became incensed and began threatening us and I saw little recourse but to get on channel 16 and begin broadcasting a mayday. "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, this is schooner Maere on channel 16. I am being boarded by pirates on a big white vessel with an orange stripe, with the numbers XX on the bow." This further infuriated this idiot, and he ordered me to return to channel 22 and prepare to be boarded. I ignored him and continued broadcasting the mayday until we tied up at Pier 66 in Lauderdale. He followed closely behind, but made no move to board us until we were tied up, boat undamaged, when he sent his squad of jackbooted thugs with M-16's to handcuff us and thoroughly search the boat. Funnily enough, after the trip from St. Thomas to Nassau, and the trip across the stream, we didn't even have so much as a cigarette or beer on board, and he left with nothing more than a very tired crew and a very bored sniffer dog, after about 4 hours of searching every nook and cranny of that boat. We cleared into the states and never heard word one from the USCG, though we were the talk of the yachting community for a few minutes, at least.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
Capta, you might be interested to know that boaters all over the country are challenging the USCG right to stop-and-board boats when they have no reasonable suspicion or probable cause to think you are violating any law. thy have a system called EPIC where they keep track of known drug smugglers and convicted criminals. (if you or your boat are in that computer system your boating life is ruined... ) your action of safely proceeding to the nearest port would likely be viewed with great favor by any court if the coasts tried to prosecute you for 'resisting arrest or inspection.' unfortunately here on lake erie, 4th of july coincides with new coasts coming in to C G stations at erie cleveland and toledo so they are very anxious to have they assorted trainees hovering all over our clean white decks. a group of lawyers in erie are up in arms and ready to do battle over these stop-and-boards in court.. on grounds of the 4th amendment...

Jun 2, 2004
Beneteau 393 Lake Texoma, Texas
Mitch:

Based on the multi-page responses from members on this site, I tend to believe that most of us have little concern over your implied concern of overly aggressive, jack booted CG abusing our community. Without question, while there are instances where poor judgement has been exercised, I am more than happy to experience an occasional inconvenience in return for knowing there are dedicated folks out there who risk their lives on a daily basis to respond when some really stupid people do really stupid things that prompt that Mayday call. For those who wish to denigrate the dedicated CG folks out there and rush to the courts for protection, I would suggest that you put your local courthouse number on your speeddial and use that number next time you find yourself sinking or experiencing a medical emergency while on the water. Then, push the timer on your watch and see how quickly your favorite ACLU attorney drops from a helicopter into 15' waves in icy waters to save you.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I interrupt this discussion of signal flares to note that another titan of American automobile racing has passed, Dan Gurney. The American Eagle. He designed race cars, he raced them and he won at home and abroad. That GT40 Ford sweep at LeMans...
Good man. He will be missed.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'll bet you could fit 6 wimmen in there. :biggrin:
I once spent the New Year on Tortola. Right across the channel was Jost Van Dyke. We were heading over there because Foxy's Beach Bar is listed by some sources as one of the top 10 places to spend New Years Eve. While researching this I came across the story of how Jost Van Dyke got its name.
Once, around the time of the pirates of the Caribbean, a famous Dutch pirate and his crew had just succeeded in taking a huge galleon filled with gold and they were tired and looking for a place for a little r&r where they could spend some of their booty on some booty. They came across this island and sent their toughest sailor over in a row boat to check it out.
The crew waited and waited and waited. The captain was about to order an armed search party to go ashore and look for the missing sailor when they spotted the lone sailor slowly making his way back to the ship. He looked awful. His clothes were torn, he was missing hair and even a couple of teeth, his face was swollen and both eyes were blackened.
The captain, when the sailor got close enough, leaned over the side and shouted, "Are thar any wimmen on tha island?"
The sailor looked up at his captain, lips swollen, teeth missing, barely able to keep rowing and answered, "jost van dyke!"
;)

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Mitch:

Based on the multi-page responses from members on this site, I tend to believe that most of us have little concern over your implied concern of overly aggressive, jack booted CG abusing our community. Without question, while there are instances where poor judgement has been exercised, I am more than happy to experience an occasional inconvenience in return for knowing there are dedicated folks out there who risk their lives on a daily basis to respond when some really stupid people do really stupid things that prompt that Mayday call. For those who wish to denigrate the dedicated CG folks out there and rush to the courts for protection, I would suggest that you put your local courthouse number on your speeddial and use that number next time you find yourself sinking or experiencing a medical emergency while on the water. Then, push the timer on your watch and see how quickly your favorite ACLU attorney drops from a helicopter into 15' waves in icy waters to save you.
:plus:

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Mitch:

coin flip. In my house the police do not come by and "practice" entering my house on a training mission. There is no association between their ability to enter my house at random, and yet protect my house if a threat occurs against my family. Making the association between practice boarding and inspection, and serving the public on the water is completely erroneous.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Mitch:

You are comparing apples and oranges. These are two distinctly different branches of the same service. Just like SWAT and a street patrolman.And in both cases the abuses seem to rest with the group that deal with the public daily and more directly.
The boats that pull you over on the water and harass you are mostly manned by younger, non-professional personnel. Many take advantage of their new found power and abuse it. The rescue service, on the other hand, is staffed by professionals who spend their whole life in the service.
I don't think a single member of this site is denigrating the rescue personnel. However, if you've spent any time on the water on small craft, and have not had at least one unpleasant encounter with what we are calling "coasties" on here, then you are indeed a very fortunate person.
I've been out on the water almost daily for the last 5 decades, mostly professionally, and if you bought the beer at the pub, I could probably empty your wallet before I ran out of stories on this subject. And yet my, jacket as a USCG Licensed Master (well over 30 years) is spotless.

Feb 3, 2012
Corbin 39 Pilothouse Cutter Lyme, CT
I think this will apply to this topic...
In Hamburg Cove, on the CT River, there is an issue for residents who keep their boats there. The weekends are a zoo just as many popular places in the east. Great swimming, etc.
The Harbormaster indicates in the permit renewals there is a limit of 4 boat raft ups on moorings. The problem is enforcement... it is common to see as many as eleven boats on a mooring spending the night / weekend partying and playing loud music which puts local boats in harms way as boats swing. Boats passing through at excessive speed are going to kill someone in the water.
There is no enforcement..! Another police department on weekends drives through (from Essex) without any enforcement action taken. This is the town of Lyme... Do they have jurisdiction to do something? Do they just ignore it?
This incredibly beautiful place is ruined by an overcrowded zoo! When will the Lyme Harbormaster take action and enforce their own rules..?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
When will the Lyme Harbormaster take action and enforce their own rules..?
Most police forces respond to complaints. Have you tried that?IMGP0546.jpeg This was the most crowded anchorage we were in last summer. (5 month cruise)There were a couple of boats on the other side of us as well. It's why I love the west coast but I guess it will be as crowded as the east coast in a couple of hundred years.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Most police forces respond to complaints. Have you tried that?View attachment 145966 This was the most crowded anchorage we were in last summer. (5 month cruise)There were a couple of boats on the other side of us as well. It's why I love the west coast but I guess it will be as crowded as the east coast in a couple of hundred years.
Errr, not likely. There's that weather problem out there. I notice nobody swimming.......:)