your experiences with boat police???

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
In the Chesapeake, there is a training center for the DNR at Solomon’s Island. If you did anything goofy you were fodder for the training of rookies to hastle you as part of their learning.

You also got some tickets written for things that you’d have to do something odd and nasty to get pricked for. Example: the refs say you have not only have tags on your motorized tender — you need to have the copy of the registration card. (Who does that?)

Other than that around there, the DNR police have always been helpful, really interested in being friendly, and never seemed to hassle anyone I knew. If you were in trouble, needed some help off a shoal, etc. they were there for you. Of course if you were going too fast, you might get some attention

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
So basically we have a felon in our midst. Good to know..... :biggrin:
My boating behavior has improved significantly since we bought our sailboat! I have to admit that there is something about a throttle that influences behavior. I'd not be surprised if we learned that there might be a few goody two-shoes sailors in our midst whom have a history of misdemeanors in their hot rod cars during a previous or even not so previous (but alternative) life. ;)

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
My boating behavior has improved significantly since we bought our sailboat! I have to admit that there is something about a throttle that influences behavior. I'd not be surprised if we learned that there might be a few goody two-shoes sailors in our midst whom have a history of misdemeanors in their hot rod cars during a previous or even not so previous (but alternative) life. ;)
Couldn't be referring to me. I never built any fast hotrods ;)

P1010057.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Gunni, you referring to the Yenko of Camaro fame? Those cars roared.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Gunni, you referring to the Yenko of Camaro fame? Those cars roared.
Yeah, Don and my dad were close friends. Long before the Yenko Camaro there was the Yenko Corvair, the core of Don’s dream to compete against European sports cars and win. He worked hard to make it a production car for SCCA racing. We would have long talks about the importance of balancing power and handling necessary to make American production cars competitive. When I was 16 he tossed me the keys to his custom big block Corvette and told me to let him know if he had it right. When Ma objected, he told her I was ready. Everytime I cross the 100mph mark on a speedo I think of Don and remind myself not to disappoint him.

Mar 29, 2015
MacGregor 25 trailer sailer
I always liked the yenko vega but nothing like the 1969 all aluminum 427 camaro (ZL1). They might as well be gold( unobtainable to me). I have done 132 miles an hour OVER the speed limit while being pursued, I tend to like to drive slower (even if it is a little sideways)now that I've gotten older. Dont ride my sportbike as hard anymore, but my supercharged chevy truck gets drifted everytime I get in!

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Sold my 1969 Z-28 when I was passed by a Maserati at 120 MPH. Tough to get good tires back in the day...

Mar 29, 2015
MacGregor 25 trailer sailer
My 69 camaro got stolen after a two year build. Never got it back. Miss it. Only year i would want. Made a trip from Atlantic Beach in Jax. to Dunwoody north of Atlanta in 3 hrs. forty mins. Wouldnt get to the state lines and we would be in jail nowdays! 46 gallons of gas. FUN.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Sold my 1969 Z-28 when I was passed by a Maserati at 120 MPH.
Which is exactly why Yenko was putting L72 427 C.I.D Corvette engines in his Yenko Camaros. The OEM Z 28 302 C.I.D. didn't get the job done.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Which is exactly why Yenko was putting L72 427 C.I.D Corvette engines in his Yenko Camaros. The OEM Z 28 302 C.I.D. didn't get the job done.
The 302 "didn't get the job done" because street racing wasn't it's job. specifically built to fit TA class rules, in which it did very well actually.

Oct 1, 2007
The 302 "didn't get the job done" because street racing wasn't it's job. specifically built to fit TA class rules, in which it did very well actually.
Don't we all miss those days. Youth, hot cars, carefree (except of course for 'Nam), girls, beer, drive ins....How did we ever survive it all?

Oct 1, 2007
My 69 camaro got stolen after a two year build. Never got it back. Miss it. Only year i would want. Made a trip from Atlantic Beach in Jax. to Dunwoody north of Atlanta in 3 hrs. forty mins. Wouldnt get to the state lines and we would be in jail nowdays! 46 gallons of gas. FUN.
Watch the auction on TV? Wish I had kept my Z...

Oct 1, 2007
Yeah, I ordered mine new with the 3.73 rear end. The hot rear end was the 4.56 as I remember...then I had the rocker arms drilled in as they came stock pressed in.....man she could rev....

Oct 1, 2007
Yeah I remember the talk in the mags on Yenko but never saw one in my neck of the woods....only L72's I recall up my way were in the 'Vettes..my favorite all time car was the 427 'Vette around 1966-67 vintage...small, lightening fast...a real sports car...later "Vettes more like GT cars...

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Yeah, I ordered mine new with the 3.73 rear end. The hot rear end was the 4.56 as I remember...then I had the rocker arms drilled in as they came stock pressed in.....man she could rev....
Isn't it strange how we thought nothing of spinning along the interstate at 80-85MPH with 4:11 gears back in the day :yikes:. I rebuilt a 64 Vette a few years ago that had a NOM 350 and 4:11 gears but it wasn't as fun as I had remembered it to be back in the day, so I built the car I really wanted all along. my 62, which I built with an L-98 and 6 speed zf from a 90 vette (C-4s are great donor cars ;) ) . we now drive the 62 at least a thousand miles a year and love it. Old feel and new(er) technology. put the Mac25 on the hitch (yes the 62 has one) and send me off to St Peter when the time comes, cause I ain't selling either one before then ;) .

P1010182.jpg P1000107.jpg P1000350.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
As a kid, living on a sailboat between 1973-1977, I'd stands on the dock at night and I could hear a constant roar coming from the parking lot by pier 60, Clearwater Beach. All the hotrodders were parked out there showing off their rides. Someone was always revving or squealing tires. Half the cars were hoodless.
I'm not a car person, but I can certainly appreciate the appeal and the engineering.
In high school, my parents bought an old 1970 Pontiac LaMans 350. None of us knew what we had. I put it thru its paces, but snow is not it's natural habitat. I got stopped for speeding, 100' from the stop sign I'd just obeyed. Wasn't even trying.
We also had a 1980 GMC Suburban with full time quadratrac and a 501 4- barrel carbed engine. The 50 gal tank had gas station attendants (there were attendants who pumped your gas for you back then) looking under the car for leaks. I actually beat a cameo off the line. Maybe he didn't really think I was good for it, but he sure revved it at the light before it turned green. I got a good look at his face in the giant trailer mirror too:yikes:

I'd love a '63 Ford T-Bird (my birth year)

- Will (Dragonfly)