You'll Love This - Wasps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
My boat has been sitting in the yard for about 4 weeks while I get those spring projects done and I was working on something else in the garage. I noticed something flying in and out of the port drainage hole to the sink in the head. Upon closer inspection - they were wasps, about one every 5 seconds. OH DAMN!!! I carefully opened the companionway about an inch and watched for couple of minutes - None in the main cabin - go ahead into the boat and peer over the top of the door to the head - still can't see any. Guess I'm going to open the door and run like hell!!! The little bastards are building a nest in the conner above the head near the light. Time to back out for now and return after dark when they are alseep. Buy some of that powerful wasp killer and after dark I slowly crept into the boat. Inserted the sink stopper to keep them from entering again. Sprayed the nest with a bunch of the little critters hanging on. Next morning I check and sure enough I got everyone and now all I have to do is clean up the mess. Who says You can't have fun in you boat? Jim S/V Java

elle

Sep 13, 1996
Rhodes 22 Northern Neck of Virginia
You needed an audience

Hey, Jim, This had all the ingredients for high theater...Next time give us a call so we can get front row seats for the inevitable follies!

H

Hayden Jones

Wasp dancing

Last fall I was looking at a Precision 23 that had sat on a trailer for years. It was a mess but repairable. I thought seriously fo making a low offer and was considering an offer when my 35 year old son came jumping pout of the cockpit, dancining on the gunnels to the bow where he leaped (yelling and screaming all this time) to the ground and took off running. It seems the wasps had taken refuge in the boat and were not about to give up their home. I passed onthe boat. If they (the wasps) wanted it that bad, let them make an offer to the owner, I bought a Hunter 235. Hayden PS. I just out the sink stopper in the sink.

T

Tony

I just finished cleaning

I had just finished cleaning the boat and was installing the Bimini when I noticed a small piece of straw sticking out of the back of the boom. Barn Swallow nest ...Thankfully abandoned Took a while to "fish" it all out with a straighteneed out coat hanger Made a hell of a mess. Next fall, a rag will be stuck in there. A yard guy was walking by as I finished and told me it happened to him but was so far in that he had to remove boom to clear it... ouch... At least they don't sting A few years back I was anchoring and when i lifted the anchor compartment lid I was face to face with an active wasp nest built in the week since last opened. no where to run on a small boat (that was an ODay 240) Ran to back of boat until they settled down and cleared them out after back in slip anchoring plans posponed. Now i carry one of those long distance wasp killer cans on the boat.

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Hey Laura

It was anti-climatic I got them before they got me. How many more days until retirement? LUCKY.. You'll never guess what I'm doing to the boat! Installing the electric head!!! No you can't have it back! Jim S/V Java

elle

Sep 13, 1996
Rhodes 22 Northern Neck of Virginia
Hey, Jim

We have 26 days..but who's counting? ;^) I'm glad the head fit...maybe you'll invite us up to use it...(and maybe a sail to boot...!) We'll be having some company from So. Dakota this fall...You & Joan want to come play with us???

Status
Not open for further replies.