You may say I am crazy

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
22.jpg ID Plate.jpg That particular shade of green tells me that this is a 1969 or 1970 model. She is a MARINER 2+2 (that's a plus sign, not a 4). The 2+2 version was introduced as a 1969 model (previous model had an open-back cabin with only 2 berths and a non-self-bailing cockpit. The 2+2 enclosed the cabin and added 2 more berths under the cockpit seats. Cockpit was now self-bailing also. This version of the MARINER was built from 1969 to sometime in 1972 when the more modern single level cabin trunk version was introduced as a 1973 model and produced until 1979 (not shown in the 1979 brochures, but several MARINERs were built during the 1979 Model year prior to the first of the new "O'DAY 19" were built.) There will not be a 12-digit HIN on the transom, unless there was one assigned by the State where she was last registered. O'DAY boats built prior to 1972 were marked with a small metal plate (usually on the aft end of the cockpit) that had 2 numbers, a HULL# and a CLASS#. The Class# will be the important one, since that indicates how many Mariners had been built, and that is the number that should key into any model year estimates from the MARINER Class web-site. HULL# on these boats indicates how many boats total (all classes/models) O'DAY had built. My 1969 WIDGEON (12'4") was Hull# 22698 and Class# 1791, that means she was the 22698th O'DAY built and the 1971st Widgeon.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I have seen worse! Much worse! Ditch that marine head and the holding tank. Put in a porta-potty if you need anything. Lots of elbow grease will get-er-done! That will be a fun little boat. Did you get rudder, tiller, sails, mast, and boom? You may need to fabricate some parts and relaminate some decks. Check those decks for water intrusion and rotting. Look over the whole boat for cracks. The trailer doesn't look half bad.
Report back with your findings, and let us know if you need help.

Jul 3, 2017
O'Day 242 Melbourne, FL
It's all there... even that blue cover for the main sail... it looks brand new. The aluminum masts look great... and the condition of the sails stores in a garage attic for 20 years are shocking.

Jul 3, 2017
O'Day 242 Melbourne, FL
Any thoughts on how to determine it is seaworthy without putting it in the water and sinking it!!! Lol! It has not been in the water in 20 years. We have gone over every inch... banged away... two guys walking all over the topside and in the cabin... no one fell through!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Check those below waterline through holes, I'd remove and patch then first. I have 3 on my 25 and plan to remove them all and change the galley sink to a side discharge above the waterline.

Jul 3, 2017
O'Day 242 Melbourne, FL
Hello ... maybe I should start a new thread... boat I home today. Advice if you have it. Previous owner reported some past problems getting the centerboard down on the Mariner. Any body have experience with this sort of thing on the O'Day and advice. THANK YOU!

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
The best bit of advice is repeating what Brian S recommended in #19: join the Mariner Class Association at usmariner.org. Run a flat bar or a thin board up between the swing keel and the keel trunk on both side. Chances are that critters have gotten up there and developed some housing projects. To be safe consider wasp spray or a short pressure washer blast before you go mucking around up there. If the swing keel is massively rusted, it may have expanded. The fine folks at the Association can help you with that.

Jul 3, 2017
O'Day 242 Melbourne, FL
All my wood covers are here... man since 1969... wow... I think this nasty looking bolt is the hinge for the center board... that center board has me quite concerned. Trailer won't let me try to lower it. Have to get inventive to get access. So far my inventiveness has increased markedly. Learned leaving it uncovered in rainy FL... not a good idea in the cleaning phase... or I suspect any other!

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
You have to get her on boat stands and off the trailer. Check you tube, but you will need some stands.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
You have to get her on boat stands and off the trailer. Check you tube, but you will need some stands.
Not necessarily. If you have a forklift or a front loader available (both are rentable), you can use a sling to pick the aft end up while the bow is still on the trailer. You can do the same with a stout tree limb and a come-along.