You just can't protect yourself from stupid!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Seems we're getting it from both sides: the Go Fast Idiots and the slow idiots.

Honest question:

Do you think folks who have sailboats are the only people on the water who know COLREGS and Inland Navigation requirements?

(Notice I did NOT say that stupid 'rules of the road' crap.:))

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Do you think folks who have sailboats are the only people on the water who know COLREGS and Inland Navigation requirements?
A far, far greater % than power boaters. I have run into power boaters who have never heard of the COLREGS. Most power boaters (in this area) are only interested in getting to their destination, going fishing etc. and are not too interested in either the boat itself or the watery environment around them.

Ah yes, spring is coming and I can hear the power boaters commissioning their vessels (both large and small) for the upcoming boating season.

GRIND, GRIND. GRIND, $^%&*$^# , GRIND, GRIND. GRIND, $^%&*$^# , GRIND, GRIND, GRIND, $^%&*$^# , GRIND, GRIND. GRIND, $^%&*$^# , GRIND, GRIND. GRIND, $^%&*$^# , VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM. And they're off :yikes:.

And that is a fact at Thunderbird Marina, West Vancouver, B.C.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
--- and of course there are the paddle boarders and kayakers. Which I affectionately label "water spiders".
Don't get me started on them. :)
I'm not normally one to stir this kind of pot. But... What is it about paddle boarders and kayakers that you don't like?

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I'm not normally one to stir this kind of pot. But... What is it about paddle boarders and kayakers that you don't like?
I'm with you there, Kermit. I'd rather see them any day rather than those damn jet-skiers who think it's cool to jump wakes and land right in front of me.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I understand that, as a frog, you like water spiders, but.... :-D

From the shore view, they illustrate So Cal active watersports. Fun and energetic. A great addition to the harbor atmosphere. My wife loves to watch them.

From an ocean going boat, for which the harbor was designed, their presence, when adding poor navigation skills, ignorance, and/or obnoxious attitude, can create a ludicrous endeavor for the boat pilot.
In the summer, there are hoards of them crowding the waterways. The harbor rules are to stay at the edge of the channels, but they go right down the middle, criss cross, cut in front of you, etc. Some gather in the middle and chat, while boats try to steer around them. Others fish and drift in the channels and harbor mouth.
Many of them have their backs turned, and never look behind them, and meander left and right without indication. Then more shoot out of dock channels, while others are busy looking at sea lions. Or distracted by their dog passengers that are barking at the sea lions.
I've had to reverse more than once, gears whining. I've emptied my air horns over the years mostly at human powered vessels.
Many don't have vests. Even children with no vests. I've seen a baby sitting in front of the mother with no vest.
At times on summer weekends, it's just unbelievable. It's like trying to safely drive a tractor/trailer through a long street full of kids playing.
10 years ago, nobody had heard of a paddle board. And kayaks were still few. Now everyone can afford to own and store a vessel capable of being used in a harbor, and launch with no fees or fuss. Which has caused relatively small harbors like ours to be overwhelmed with these vessels, many of which are piloted by people with zero knowledge of nav rules and boating laws.

I think the majority are very good at being safe, but there's a large quantity who aren't. And even the safe ones can be a hazard, if only due to their quantity.

I said don't get me started. :)

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I never said I like them. I have no feeling at all about them. I was sincerely curious. Skipper's explanation makes sense to me. It's just not something we have a problem with here. We have kayaks and paddle boards but not in mass quantities.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Even though I made a 4" 3 ring binder of reference material, books, and sailing terms and instructions for my family, they seemed not interested in doing any homework :)

All was looking good and then I pointed out a large multi deck yacht (30’ or bigger?) bearing perpendicular to our starboard side crossing under a bridge. We were under sail moving at a 3-4 knots and noted that he was not adjusting course or slowing in recognition of us at all.
John, that first part is actually very funny! :cool: Did you really think that they weren't going to roll their eyes at you? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The second part is a little confusing ... Was the other boat in a channel as it was crossing under a bridge? How close were you and the other boat to the bridge? Are we talking about a major bridge that you could sail under or a bridge that you had to avoid anyway? Were you sailing across a channel? If the other boat was draft constrained within a channel, I think he had a right to expect you to avoid him. Obviously, he could have slowed down, but it sounds like you took evasive action long before a crossing conflict, so perhaps he felt no need to slow down that far in advance of a potential conflict. (OTOH bridge crossings are normally at restrained speed). Just beware of situations where a power boat is in a channel and may be draft confined. You don't have "stand on" in all circumstances just because you are a sailboat. Since you then went under power, and the other boat was crossing from your starboard side, you no longer had stand on status in any event.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Thanks, ya I should have known after 18+ year marriage, but I still try.

They were coming down the channel that passes under a bridge (major) and were clear of the bridge. There could be draft restrictions but this area is very deep area and we were in the channel that was heading up river, parallel to the bridge, distance was not close. There was a fair amount of traffic including other large power boats and all made early maneuvers to pass us to our stern or accelerated and gave us a lot of room to our bow, they made no changes and there seemed to be no recognition from the people on the boat, which just kind of spooked me. We were slow, but making headway, they were the first and only boat that seemed to make no change in either speed or course after I waited a bit. My wife was asking what to do and I said technically we have the right away which I believe is true, but I think we need to err on the side of caution instead. When we passed to their stern they continued on into the same channel we were in and turn to travel up in the same direction we were planning. Nobody on board seemed to be looking out and no one looked our way at all.

I'm new with my own sailboat and I have a lot to learn still so I could be wrong. We were clearly under sail and all other power boats were giving us nice courteous recognition, including friendly waves and head nodes in some case. In any case I wasn't really upset since it was such a great day on the water and it was a good learning opportunity to get under our belt before the summer season really kicks in.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
At least now Virginia by law you have to take a safety course to operate any boat except for sailboats with no motors essentially. If caught, you are fined. I wonder if country wide such a course was warranted if things would be different
Canada has a nationwide Pleasure Craft Operator Card, that you need to take a test for.
It applies to most people who operate a pleasure watercraft that has an motor, even if that motor is not being used.

The testing is outsourced to private companies who simply make money off of it, and seemingly could care less if you actually learn anything.
You can do self study and take the exam online via multiple choice.

It's a joke. I've asked friends questions to see if they retained any of the information imparted. Not much if any.
Realistically it must have made some improvement but I haven't noticed.

I can't see a license as doing much of anything.
Like vehicles... lots of morons behind the wheel/tiller, and some don't bother having a license anyhow.

Details of the card:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_operatorfaq-2233.htm#who

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
... My wife was asking what to do and I said technically we have the right away which I believe is true, but I think we need to err on the side of caution instead. ...
It is very important to remember that NO BOAT has the right of way. There is only give way, and stand on. You actually did what was legally required of you, as both boats are required to do everything to avoid contact. Yes, the other boat failed to do what was required, but you were also legally required to take action, which you rightfully did. Earlier on, the other boat was required to give way, and did not, so he was in violation twice.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
With Virginia if you get a DWI/DUI I believe it is tied in with your driver’s liscense which does count but alas there are the stupids ou there anyway who never look. Years ago two bass boats ran head on in clear daylight. While pulling the body out was no laughing matter