You choke it, you clear it!

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
Until "they" got wise and put check boxes for the sex question, my dad always put "Y" in the box.

Personally, I was a bachelor for a while and I learned that sitting down saved a lot of time cleaning up the floor around the head. Plus there's always "The Hair" that creates an even bigger mess.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
And as long as the TP is the quick dissolve stuff AND you've learned how to use limited amounts of it, there's NO reason not to use it whether you're adding solid waste or liquid waste. And it doesn't have to be "marine/rv" TP...that's just the cheapest practically-dissolves-in-your-hand-if-it-even-gets-damp TP you can find at Sams, Costo and most supermarkets repackaged with a ridiculously high price tag.
Peggy, I would have sworn that it was you a few years ago that was warning us about flushing paper, and that even the "so called" marine paper wasn't suitable for flushing, thus we haven't been flushing any paper for years. If not you, then I must have imagined it. Is this a position you once had, but have changed, or am I truly losing my mind (as the Admiral has claimed for years now)?

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Hand hold steady you but your water discharge gets splash about with every tack and yawl of boat.
Agree. On a recent passage, I finally gave in and gave up trying to stay standing. I would have one foot in each far corner of the head, my head and shoulder against the bulkhead behind the head, with one hand holding up the seat, and the other one "aiming" - and it was still impossible! I concluded that it really is only practical to sit, even if it is someone else's boat...
Besides, when you are wearing bibs, you have to take off your foulies to get your bib suspenders down off your shoulders so you can get the bibs down anyway. At that point, you might as well go ahead and sit!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
... "so called" marine paper wasn't suitable for flushing, thus we haven't been flushing any paper for years....
First, the phrase "so called" and the use of "quotes" when not properly required are not a part of the English language; the first as very poor usage and the latter as an error. Instead, use an accurate adjective and drop the quotes unless it is a attributable quotation. More to the point, "so called" always sounds annoyingly accusative.

Second, to determine if a TP is suitable for flushing, place a few squares in a small bowl of water, wait 30 seconds, and gently stir few times with a straw. Suitable tissues will fall apart to unidentifiable pulp. Scott makes several excellent single plies; I like the Extra Cushiony line. There are a few papers labeled as marine that fail this test, all of them 2-plies. The designation septic-safe does not indicate fast dissolving properties. I believe it a marketing phrase without real meaning.

Dec 29, 2008
Thanks for the English lesson, Thinwater. With respect to my use of "'so called", I stand corrected.

I was referring to the product description, not accusing the OP of anything. Is "I believe it a marketing phrase without real meaning" somehow less accusative?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I was referring to the product description, not accusing the OP of anything. Is "I believe it a marketing phrase without real meaning" somehow less accusative?
At the risk of sending this thread down the figurative toilet...

The phrase "so called" is in common use among US urban youth when dismissing adult authority. The implication is that the youth is somehow on an equal standing as that "so called teacher, principal, counselor, etc." It also baits the adult into arguing about the adult's status and distracts from the issue at hand, which is usually some misbehavior by the youth or poor grade on a paper or test. In this sense it is a red herring argument.

The semantic difference between stating "so called" marine toilet paper and Thinwater's marketing phrase is that Thinwater's comment is very clear and directed towards the TP marketing department, whereas, it is unclear whether "so called" marine TP is directed at the marketing department or another forum member. If directed towards the marketing department, the accusatory implication is probably well deserved; if directed towards the forum member, then not so much, especially a well respected and knowledgeable member.

And this is what bored sailors do when it is raining, the marina is flooded, and the boat isn't going into the water anytime soon. :(

Dec 29, 2008
if directed towards the forum member, then not so much, especially a well respected and knowledgeable member.
And to be crystal clear, I most certainly would never disparage the Headmistress, whom I hold in the highest esteem! I most emphatically was referring to the products which claim to be safe for marine toilets but don't all pass the test, as Thinwater even stated. That is why my question to her was stated in the most self-deprecating manner (not manor!) possible!
:worship:

Meanwhile, I will continue to resist correcting every poster who uses the word "then", when they mean "than", despite cringing every time I see it!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Peggy, I would have sworn that it was you a few years ago that was warning us about flushing paper, and that even the "so called" marine paper wasn't suitable for flushing
Nope...'twasn't me. I've always preached just the opposite along with the "news" that Marine/RV TP is just the same cheap flimsy no-name TP you can get from the grocery store for a fraction of the price. Found that out when I was at the SeaLand plant around 1993 or '94 and watched an employee opening cases of the cheap stuff and re-packaging it. I came home ready to add TP to our product line till I found out I'd have buy it in 6000 case lots (truckloads) to be able to price it competitively...I didn't have that much warehouse space. It was only a short time later that I became the first to post the "sheet in a glass of water" test to determine whether a particular TP was suitable for use in a marine toilet. I included it in my first book which came out 15 years ago.

All that said, I have nothing against using any means to necessary to convince guests not to flush anything they haven't eaten first. In fact, I kept a small "diaper pail" and plastic liners for it in my dock locker that I put in the head next to the toilet when I was expecting landlubber guests. My tour of the boat included "how to flush" instructions with a warning that flushing anything they hadn't eaten first would ( note my use of "would," not "could") do major damage to the system. It seemed to work...I never had a clog. When they left the liner went to the dumpster and the pail went back into the locker.

Wet wipes are another story...I have railed for years against flushing those, even before the damage they cause to municipal sewer systems began making news. It's possible you may have mistaken that for opposition to flushing TP.

Dec 29, 2008
Nope...'twasn't me. I've always preached just the opposite along
Well, darn. Thanks for straightening me out. It appears the Admiral may have been right all these years - my ballast must have shifted too far aft! Anyway, please accept my apology, and my assurance that I certainly intended no disrespect! Quite the opposite. I've always respected your knowledge, experience and advice, even if I seem to have misinterpreted this part or at least mis-attributed it to you.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's never disrespectful to question what you remember someone--especially a so-called "expert" :rolleyes: -- recommending..in fact, you should! 'Cuz how else can you be sure whether they did or not? Or if they did, was it good advice?

And this is what bored sailors do when it is raining, the marina is flooded, and the boat isn't going into the water anytime soon.
Which sounds like the weather has turned you into a "so called" sailor !:pimp:

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
...A whole bunch of folks into "so-called" sailors...yikes! And the high water is only half of it...the cleanup after the lake levels go down is the other half. You have my sympathy!

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Thanks for the English lesson, Thinwater. With respect to my use of "'so called", I stand corrected.

Sorry I was cranky. But excessive use of quotes and so-called mirrors some sloppy tweets of late. Let's do better. I apologize.

As for the correct wording, I think false advertising comes pretty close. The practice of exaggerating and puffing is one thing, but when they ignore well-accepted testing practice and use deceptive language, I'd rather call a spade a spade.