You choke it, you clear it!

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I always take the time to make sure my guests feel comfortable first and foremost. I also want them to be safe. But when it comes to the head I explain in detail exactly what goes into it. And I tell them that when it comes to anything beside a tinkle, I expect them to only do so if it is really an emergency. So far we have only had overnight guests once and they were experienced boaters who didn't need the details. Actually they were more cautious that they needed to be.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
After thinking about it, I'm not so sure it is a good idea...'cuz it may scare your guests into thinking they can't poop in the toilet but can flush wet wipes. One can cause real problems for people who are aboard longer than just a day sail or a dinner cruise, the other definitely will cause real problems for you!
Anyone with "flushable"wipes on their boat in the vicinity of their head.... deserves the problems they get!!!

Really it's most important to make sure your family "gets it" and then your description to your guests of your head rules are very clear! Whatever your rules are, speak up!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The flushable wipe thing seems to be a lady-thing. They carry them in their handbag. Make sure you work that prohibition into your head briefing.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The flushable wipe thing seems to be a lady-thing.....
On a potty stop around dawn I saw something floating in the bowl. A Strydex pad, or for maybe taking eye makeup off, or as I figured, hemorrhoid medication . Later, I address all 3 ladies. Later, one came forward and said if there was only one, then 4 others got flushed through. Next time I tried to pump out, it wouldn't. I thought maybe all those pads settled down to the bottom of the tank and covered the exit hose. Reverse flushed, and everything pumped out okay. Now, that is part of my pre-cruise toilet-talk.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
good points! Interesting that the very first I ever heard about "flushable wipes was in going to the warehouse for work and seeing them in the guys bathroom. They even talked about them and how great they were!!!! It wasn't till quite a while later I heard that flushable was not!! At my house I luckily assumed that they were more on par with baby wipes and would never flush those!

I think I need to laminate a few reminders for the wall near the head!!

Jun 23, 2015
Hunter H34 Deltaville
Wow, no "dumb blondes" here, hi from Deltaville Peggy , what about having instruction on when to flush? Like before putting "too" much in the bowl. I'm new to this so I'm guessing that flushing before paperwork might be a good idea?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... I'm new to this so I'm guessing that flushing before paperwork might be a good idea?
Correct. I advise when you make your first dump, wet-flush several times while still sitting. If something does not work right, you'll know to not put paper in.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I advise when you make your first dump, wet-flush several times while still sitting. If something does not work right, you'll know to not put paper in.
Better yet, put about a quart of water (1/3-1/2 bowlful) in the bowl ahead of solids. If you don't have a toilet designed to let you add water ahead of use, use a cup from the sink! The bowl will stay cleaner and it'll need much fewer pumps (or shorter time on the flush button) to move the flush to it's destination in the dry mode.

And as long as the TP is the quick dissolve stuff AND you've learned how to use limited amounts of it, there's NO reason not to use it whether you're adding solid waste or liquid waste. And it doesn't have to be "marine/rv" TP...that's just the cheapest practically-dissolves-in-your-hand-if-it-even-gets-damp TP you can find at Sams, Costo and most supermarkets repackaged with a ridiculously high price tag.

I never cease to be amazed at the amount of effort boat owners put into over-complicating a simple trip to the loo!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I never cease to be amazed at the amount of effort boat owners put into over-complicating a simple trip to the loo!
Couldn't agree more. I worked 3 yrs as a boat hand on salmon charter boat in high school. If we tried to do half what is stated here I'd never have gotten any tips

Les

Jun 23, 2015
Hunter H34 Deltaville
That's what I'm hopping for, for those of us who haven't had a lot of experience yet to learn from those who have so I DON'T have to clear a clog ever! Let alone while away from the dock.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I once showed up to race with a guy (5-6 hours around the cans) only to realize the head was locked. I asked why, he gave an unsatisfactory answer, and I grabbed my stuff and started to leave. He asked "what's the problem, just use the head in the marina?" I said that wasn't the point and we aren't children. He had to race short and was quite irritated, since he was planning on me being a skilled trimmer.

Well, tough. I was also a guest and free crew, either or which requires some level of courtesy.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
I once showed up to race with a guy who had removed all the cabin doors from the boat and was unloading the cabinets! It was a good sailing day spoiled.

Feb 2, 2015
Ericson 35-2 Penetang, ON
Peggy, way too funny story about swallowing the bubble gum! : )
Regarding standing vs sitting... sorry but no one has that good an aim without even getting into the unmentionable details of splashing and overspray. Just way too messy. Guys either kneel or sit on my boat.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Whether to sit or stand is never an issue for women.
Apparently it is. We have a missy at the marina who has decided that her bum is too precious as to grace the seat and instead papers it and "hovers". Her aim is terrible -she manages to paint the entire seat.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I won't ask how you know that.

Okay, I will ask. Is it a unisex bathroom?

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I kneel for no man! :):):)

Seriously, though, I added a hand hold in our head and it works just fine.
Hand hold steady you but your water discharge gets splash about with every tack and yawl of boat.