You choke it, you clear it!

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Having read some post on choked toilet discharge hose, I've been very careful using my head bowl...but one inattention changes that. My son's friends were on board having photo shoot and a girl had to use the "Loo". Harmless..I think. She doesn't know how to "flush" so my son showed her and did it for her. After they left I tidy up and the bowl water backed up! Choked! My son said she had her sanitary pad in the bowl and he pumped it through!! My God!! Of course I spent better part of next day clearing the choke.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
As most of our customers are German speaking, we have the sign below in their head. They often comment that it isn't proper German and I reply that being incorrect, they look at it more than if it was. That's just human nature, always wanting to correct the incorrect.
In English it says, "Attention! Put nothing in the toilet that you haven't eaten first. Thank you" It works apparently, as we are just finishing up our second season and the head has never had a problem.
In my pre-sail safety speech when doing tours of Charleston Harbor, I used the same line and we rarely had a head problem, though before adding that to my speech we did.
toilet sign.jpg

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
We don't even allow toilet paper in our head. I agree with the concept that if you plug it up, it's in you to hire someone to unclog it - I'm not interested in doing it! Aside from clogs, I don't want to paper mache the level gauge in the holding tank...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I keep a spare joker valve in the head. When someone new comes on board and I explain how to use the head, I take the joker valve out and tell them that anything that goes into the head has to go through this valve.

So far, so good.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Fun times
NOT! And it could have been prevented if you'd thought explain to these kids how the toilet works and what not to put into it. They're not born knowing marine toilets can't "swallow" all the stuff they flush on land..You weren't and neither was I...we learned the hard way or somebody taught us.

You really DO need to explain to guests how to flush the toilet, but a lot of people seem to be uncomfortable about how to approach that. The easiest way is to make it just another part of your "this is where everything is and how it works" tour of the boat--something you should do for ALL first-time guests, landlubber or not (how many times have we all had to hunt for 10 minutes for the light switch in the head on a strange boat...and finally had to ask?)--when they come aboard. The toilet just becomes part of the "tour," and showing 'em how it works then is a LOT less embarrassing for you AND your guests than having to show someone how to flush a full bowl. Put a sign in the head in a location no one can miss. When it comes to kids, threatening bodily harm if they clog it may be necessary.

And by the way...I've always made safety issues a part of that tour... "Here are the lifejackets. God willing we won't need them, but just in case, here’s how to put one on. The light switches are located...and they work by…. The water faucets work just like the ones at home, but please don't let the water just run, because what's in the tank is all there is. Please don't try to help unless specifically asked to do something, you could get hurt if I zig when you expected me to zag…" etc. It's been my experience that landlubbers are a lot more comfortable aboard immediately when they know a little bit about the boat, how things work, and what's expected--or not--of them.

Oct 29, 2005
Thank you all. Never too old to learn :). Unfortunately she ain't blondes. I wouldn't mind spending time to explain workings of the head if she was... but i can wish...;)

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I keep a spare joker valve in the head. When someone new comes on board and I explain how to use the head, I take the joker valve out and tell them that anything that goes into the head has to go through this valve.

So far, so good.
Good idea. I've been telling new guests ".....Yes, it looks like a little toilet but it's really just a unisex urinal. Don't put anything else in it....."

Edit: After completing my safety and procedures spiel, I then ask if anyone wants to go up to the yacht club before we leave the dock.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I explain how a marine head works and the limitations as to what goes down. I then show them where the tools are and say "I"ll be glad to hand you tools". always works!!

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We don't even allow toilet paper in our head. I agree with the concept that if you plug it up, it's in you to hire someone to unclog it - I'm not interested in doing it! Aside from clogs, I don't want to paper mache the level gauge in the holding tank...
Interesting about the paper Mache`, does that really happen? I met a cruiser that stated the same. We use paper that dissolves fairly quickly and I believe from what I see during a pump out that it actually does. Another thing is if it didn't, there would be paper stuck to the sides of the tank and I would see that evidence when holding a flashlight to the side of the holding tank. We do add some CP on occasion and have been aboard for six years so I would think maybe it doesn't occur.

All U Get

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have sailed 10 years- since my B323 was new- with my sailing club. I've had a hundred crew, some who have not been on a boat, and some who shouldn't ever be on a boat. I show them a joker valve. I instruct them 3 or 4 squares of paper at a time. I've never had a blockage, nor has my Jabsco failed me, and I tell my crew whoever clogs it, cleans it. Nuff said.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
"If you didn't eat it first, don't put it in the head"-nifty little placard available at West Marine.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
"If you didn't eat it first" isn't foolproof. I've seen watermelon seeds jam an impeller. But my favorite story came from a customer whose toilet was a VacuFlush: he had two small grandsons who were world class bubble gum chewers who often disposed of it at home by flushing it last thing before they went to bed. He made a strong point of telling 'em NOT to put it into the toilet on the boat EVER. But a couple of days after their first weekend aboard, the VFlush pump jammed...and when he got it apart, there were two wads of bubble gum. He went ballistic at the boys, who swore they were innocent. Under enough questioning, he finally got to the bottom of the problem: they WERE innocent. They couldn't figure out what else to do with the gum, so they'd swallowed it.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Good stories and important truths!
One other bit of orientation on our boat for all crew and visitors is that everyone (!) without exception sits. NO standing when "addressing" the head. The head compartment stays clean and the Admiral stays happy; both are important priorities. :)

Oct 29, 2005
Good stories and important truths!
One other bit of orientation on our boat for all crew and visitors is that everyone (!) without exception sits. NO standing when "addressing" the head. The head compartment stays clean and the Admiral stays happy; both are important priorities. :)
I was doing fine standing till my crew did a tack. So now its sit for me.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.

So far, so good.
Very smart!!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
After thinking about it, I'm not so sure it is a good idea...'cuz it may scare your guests into thinking they can't poop in the toilet but can flush wet wipes. One can cause real problems for people who are aboard longer than just a day sail or a dinner cruise, the other definitely will cause real problems for you!