Yet another bottom paint discussion:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euclid

Oct 21, 2005
- - Anderson Mill Marina, Austin, TX
As many of you know, I've recently purchased an H23. It's been sitting in the water for literally 8 years, ignored, forgotten. What all should I do the the underside of the boat, what products should I use, how much should I plan on spending and what processes should I go through to get the best results? Thanks!

B

Bill O'Donovan

Clean it

Get a diver down there to see what he can do scraping and scrubbing while it's still wet. Don't pull the boat until he's satisfied he's done everything he can underwater. Then be prepared to work quickly when you pull the boat to scrape the rest off before it dries and hardens, like a rock. Final alternative is to have the yard sandblast down to the gelcoat, followed by three barrier coats to reseal the hull.

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
How bad is the problem?

The approach you take depends on the type of growth on the hull (hard growth like barnacles vs soft plant growth algae), how severe it is and the resources you have available to address problems. Your situation is unique and so requires a custom solution. I'd suggest asking someone local who you know and trust to examine the hull and advise you. Let us know what you find. Peter H23 "Raven"

Jun 7, 2004
Birch Bay Washington
Don't let it dry out

it will get really hard to get off. If it was in salt water, put it in fresh water and if it was in fresh water, put it in salt water for a while. Scrape off what you can. Power wash works too.

Status
Not open for further replies.