Yesterday

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
Got out into the Atlantic florida keys anyway found a Cuban refugee boat floating.

Nice little piece of hillbilly engineering there. Had an old single cylinder 1930ish (used to work on them) tractor motor, a sail, and oars, rudder a piece of conduit bent with a wood rudder.

The bottom is plywood'ish and the tubes you see are tarp folded up in a circle then filled with spray foam for flotation.

5 of them made it to shore ok.

Figure we are 90 miles from keywest, keywest is 90 miles from cuba, and since that border is insanely guarded they would have had to take off from further south of cuba or the other side. So gotta be over 300 miles in all.

News said they were on the water for little over 3 days.

So the next time someone says your boat isn't big enough to do something show them this hehe. Anyway it was really neat to see something in person and yah like it or not I had to hop on it and check it all out no choice there tore my back up something horrable but I got a good story :eek:

Well it's not fully sailboat related but I was on a sailboat to get to it and it did have a sail hehe

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
You should have claimed salvage rights and towed that beauty home!!

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
if I had the equipment I have at my other home I would have towed it in. The diesel engine was worth 2k to the right person trying to restore a tractor. Anyway yah not very often you get a really good story to lock away in the memory vault. What made it better is being surrounded by friends to enjoy it with.