Yellowstone Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake

Apr 20, 2008
Macgregor 26S Red Lodge
I have finally learned how to post pictures on the site, so I thought I would share some from our trips to Yellowstone Lake in Sept. of 07 and 08. These are from our 1st campsite near the mouth of Flat Mountain Arm.

Attachments

Blake

Apr 20, 2008
Macgregor 26S Red Lodge
This was also in 2007, our second night was at Peale Island. We had to get special permission to camp here. The last shot was the morning. You are not allowed to use a motor at the very southern ends of the South and Southeast Arms, so we used two 8 ft oars to paddle out of the bay and away from the Island. Eventually the wind came up and we tacked all the way up the Southeast arm, but we paddled a 26S for about a half mile and it actually moved!

Attachments

Jansen

Jan 20, 2007
McGregor 26S Mobile, AL
Great pics and wonderful place to sail. Noticed your mast roller in the stern, did you buy or make that? Looks better than the board in my 92 26s and can be left in place.

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Cool!! Id love to get up there some day. The tent in you other post looks like it should work great for trips like that.

Blake

Apr 20, 2008
Macgregor 26S Red Lodge
Jansen, the mast roller came with my used boat and attaches to the stern rail. It works pretty well although I still have to go back to the stern and lift the mast through when it reaches the hounds where the shrouds attach. I think "hounds" are the proper term, but if not I hope somebody lets me know. If you look at the mast roller you will see it has a definite bend to starboard. This was caused by a 100 mph wind that hit the boat last November while sitting on its trailer under it's winter tarp. At 2 AM I was climbing the stern ladder to cut the tarp free, the whole 30' x 20' thing flapping loose except were it was tied to the mast at the roller. I'm glad I wasn't out on the water somewhere.
Walt, Yellowstone is a beautiful place to sail, if you ever make it up let me know.

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Yellowstone

Know that Yellowstone Lake has a lot of restrictions. You must register a camping itinerary with the rangers, and you may not deviate. Your campsite on the lake will be hours distant from where you parked, making it very difficult to see any of the "traditional" Yellowstone sights.

Last year when we camped the lake, it was very beautiful except for the active forest fire. Dark of the moon and smokey air meant night travel was accomplished by compass and GPS.

We drove nearby to Jackson Lake which was very scenic with a lot less regulations. Thunderstorms occur on both lakes and will test your preparedness.:eek:

Blake

Apr 20, 2008
Macgregor 26S Red Lodge
I agree with Oreana on the restrictive nature of the Yellowstone Regulations. If somebody wanted to combine sailing with driving around the park, I would suggest spending a couple of nights at the dock at Bridge Bay, combined with 2 or more nights at "back country sites out on the lake. The dock space is $20 per night in 2008, and included electrical and water hook-ups. Bridge bay is a good central location for sightseeing around the park, and you can eat out at Lake Lodge or Lake Hotel, or buy hot showers at Fishing Bridge. All are within about 5 miles of Bridge Bay. The biggest complication with day sailing out of Bridge Bay is lowering your mast on the water to enter or exit the marina. But that is something for which our boats are particularly well adapted .

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Despite what I wrote, I think that sailing on Yellowstone Lake was a priveledge and a one of a kind experience. If traveling in the area, you must go see this lake. As an example, when motoring back to the marina one morning, we saw geysers erupting along the lake edge, and we turned in to better see. While those on land were restrained well back from any danger, we coasted in to areas not seen by pedestrians. Ghosting along I could see active geysers UNDER my boat. A few minutes later, in a light wind, we came upon a small herd of elk swimming in the lake. We kept quiet and sailed within a few feet of the elk. John S Boise

Dec 14, 2008
Tartan 30 Bayfield, WI
Blake,

Loved the pictures...heading to Yellowstone next summer in my 26S, glad to see that you had a great time. I have been looking for a topographical map of the lakes depth, did you have any luck finding something like this?

Thanks

Blake

Apr 20, 2008
Macgregor 26S Red Lodge
Hello atwhite2. I have not found a map with water depths, and have been using a Trails Illustrated topo map for Yellowstone Park. I do have Garmin's Inland Lakes Maps loaded into my GPS. This product has what your looking for for Yellowstone Lake and many others around the country. It costs close to 100$ and on my GPS, I can not view the lake depths while still viewing the land topo data. So in reality I rarely switch over and use it while sailing. I can tell you about a few shallow spots to watch out for. Stevenson and Frank Islands have shallows that extend a suprising distance out to the east. On Frank, there is a spit that is just inches below the surface and extends at least 1/4 of a mile out to the east. To the north of this spit is a sheltered bay that ia one of the officialy endorsed anchorages. You could also beach your 26S here,and there is a picnic table and pit toilet there. The South East arm gets very shallow at the southern end by Peale Island. I hope you make it out to Yellowstone, it is one of the prettiest places I have sailed. I hope to get to Jackson Lake next Summer. I had the opportunity to fly over it in a Helicopter this past summer. Beautiful convoluted shoreline, lots of islands, and as John S noted, fewer rules.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

Above is a screen shot of Yellowstone using the free chart plotter program SeaClear on my computer. The map shows depth at 20 foot intervals, but by looking at the contour lines you get some idea of what is going on and can see some of the areas Blake is talking about.

You can download the USGS Topo maps free or order hard copies from their site. I have info on my site here...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-navigation/Navigation Aids-Index.html

....on where they are and also how to convert them for use with SeaClear. I've done a number of western lakes now and it is all free. If you run SeaClear on a computer on the boat and have a $35 GPS puck hooked up to it you can see where you are realtime. You can also plot a course with it and download it to say a handheld GPS like a Garmin 76 or other ones and then use the handheld in the cockpit.

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Status
Not open for further replies.