Yellowed cabin trim

Jan 5, 2017
Hunter 356 SF Bay / Delta
Hello,

I have a 2000 Hunter 310 that has bits of plastic trim in the cabin -- around the portlights being the largest ones. They've all yellowed from age and are still functional, but I'm wondering if anyone has spruced these up. I know there are chemical concoctions that can re-whiten plastic, I've also used "Krylon Fusion for plastic" in the past with good experience. It also doesn't seem obvious to me how to remove these, so could use some insight there as well.

Similarly, the fixed portlights themselves, while still transparent, aren't as clear as they could be.
Thinking about trying a headlight polishing kit on them.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Sure, try the polish kit. People on this board who have tried it are generally happy with the results. It won't take out old-age crazing however. I purchased some tooth whitener bleaching gel from Amazon and tried that on the interior frames. Took them down a shade or two, but that's all. Still better than it was. I'm sure there is a better solution, but I don't want to paint if I can avoid it.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Similarly, the fixed portlights themselves, while still transparent, aren't as clear as they could be.
The sun's UV causes the plexiglass to craze. In my situation, I just bought new replacement port plexiglass (kept the old frames), and then made wood covers for them on the outside. When we go sailing I take them off (they just rest on the port openings with gravity. the wind hasn't blown them off ... yet.). My ports are the older Beckson type that have a protruding trim so the covers stay on easily; yours may be different.

Also, made Sunbrella covers for the coachroof hatches and this has helped tremendously. In fact, the salon hatch has never been replaced (new in 1988) and still looks good.