Yellow Compass

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James Taylor

I drained the oil from compass thinking the oil had yellowed only to find that the dome and clear plate over the compass rose is the part that has yellowed. Any ideas on how to clean these parts?

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

3M Marine Metal Polish

It's the BOMB for cleaning compass jewels. You could also use Flitz which is a comparable product. When you're done, you can use it to polish any metal on board too! If that doesn't do the trick, I'd call a clock/compass repair shop & ask if using a high grit (800 or higher) wet/dry sandpaper would work. THEN you could polish it out with 3M. Good luck! LaDonna

D

Dave Bousquet

Compas cleaning

I agree with the previous post. However,you may also consider replacing the compass if you cannot clean it. The cost of replacing the glass may make buying a new one more effective.

K

Keith

new glass

My compass has a crack in the dome and leaked oil. I sent is in to be rebuilt and am very pleased with the results. It was completely rebuilt, new dome, oil, (same card) and looks just like new. The cost was one third of a new one. Might be worth looking into for you. I would think that once the plastic dome starts to yellow, cracks are sure to soon follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.