Yearly Sail Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Treppa

I'm a new owner and am wondering what others do to maintain their sails after haul-out. Mine are pretty grungy (pesky spiders)....I'm thinking of taking them to a sail loft...what does "reconditioning" mean and what does it cost? Steve

B

Bob Teeter

There is usually a sail cleaning business in most areas or that services most areas were they are needed. Depending on the size of the sail, it can cost from $100 to several hundered dollars. I think my C 42 150 was about $250 to have cleaned. Cost is usually based on the size of the sail. The second thing to do is to either check the sail completely yourself or have a sail loft check it for stiches that need replaced and areas that have chafed. Sails are under a heavy load and it is best to maintain them to keep from having a problem. While your boat is only 1 year old, you will probably notice that the stiching on the outer edge will come apart in 4 to 5 years and will need to be maintained. I have purchased a Sailrite Sewing machine and do all of my own minor sail and canvas repair. While the machine cost me about $500, I have been able to do my own repairs. If you are interested. Sailrite has a web site at sailrite.com. Good luck. Bob Teeter

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

maintenance

You definitely want to check the stitching, as Bob suggested. You need a good palm, some sail needles and marlin (West Marine should have them all). It's always good to have a "ditty bag" of these and various other minor items on board in case of an emergency. If your main blows out you can affect an immediate repair & still be able to sail home. As far as sewing machines go, I've heard good things about Sailrite and understand they're perfectly serviceable machines. But before you order online, check out a sewing machine store cuz one of them told me that a company named "Thompson" actually manufactures Sailrites machines and you can find a good used one (you'll want one with a walking foot) for $250. Even if you buy new, you'll probably find one for less than Sailrite. Good luck! LaDonna

M

Mike s/v Chute the Breeze

Sail Bath

Steve, Check out West Marine they sell some stuff called Sail Bath, it works ok. Just use your bath tub it's 7 bucks a bottle you will need a few.I forgot how many sq.feet a bottle is good for?? Mike WD9EOU C-38 "Chute the Breeze" Michigan City, IN

M

Mike Hagerman

Sail Care

I'm in my first season as a boat owner and as a result have surfed the Net for answers. One interesting solution for sail care appears to be www.sailcare.com. They describe their special sail cleaning process in detail and their prices seem reasonable even with shipping to Pennsylvania. They will also quote repairs. I don't know about YOUR bathtub, but mine won't accomodate my Cat 30 jib, let alone the main! Anyone have any experience with these folks?

M

Mike s/v Chute the Breeze

Sail Care?

Steve, Well as Mike H. suggested I checked out Sail Care and if my sails were very badly soiled and stained I might concider the quote for $800 bucks w/o shipping (main & Ginny).. But for bug juice and a little dirt I have to concider other alternatives.(bath tub, kids blowup swimming pool,ect) Mike S.- WD9EOU C-38 s/v "Chute the Breeze" Michigan City, IN

C

Charlie

sailaway

I have a 28 and I clean my sails every year in the back yard. I place a 20ft x 40ft tarp, Same one sued to cover for the winter, on the ground then lay out the sail and mix a batch of sail wash from west marine and scrub with the same brush and handle that I use to clean the decks. then wash with hose. After doing both sides I drape the sail between the close line and another line that I string from two trees. I use my anchor rode for this purpose --- trees are far apart. after they are dry I p;ace them back on the tarp and fold for storage. This workd fine as long as you don't have any heavy marks such as sail rubbing on spreaders etc. works for me!! Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.