Yearly Haulout

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dic Kavalauskas

I recently sold my Catalin 25 and I'm considering purchasing a 1998 C320. The boat is located in the southern mid-west where it's not necessary to haul boats each season since the fresh water lake does not freeze. The owner says that the boat has not been hauled since it was commissioned three years ago. While I certainly will have the boat surveyed, should I have the surveyor pay special attention to the possibility of high moisture content in the hull or am I unduly concerned since the boat is only three years old? The owner states that the boat had epoxy barrier coat put on at commissioning. Thanks in advance for your comments. kavalad@att.net

E

Echo Gulf

Paint?

With the barrier coat and the age (or lack) of the vessel I wouldn't expect to find any moisture or blister problems. But, after 3 years, I'm sure the bottom paint is in need of attention.

M

MJ

Surveyor

will check moisture content as part of the survey. I can't imagine that there would be a problem in a boat that new unless the boat had been damaged.

D

Dic

Thanks

Thanks guy's for your comments. This web site and the timely responses was one of the factors in selecting a C-320.

R

Ron

Haulouts

Most "experts" I've talked to or read up on recommend a seasonal haulout, although in your case (on a freshwater lake) it may perhaps be every 2nd-3rd year. Multiple reasons: 1. Fiberglass does absorb moisture, and a winter out of the water allows some drying out. I believe the original gelcoat provides the (almost)impermeable moisture barrier, so I'm not sure what the epoxy paint was doing other than as an anti-fouling barrier. 2. The periodic haulout allows you to inspect the condition of the bottom, through-hulls (which should be lubricated), shaft/prop, sensors, rudder, etc. 3. Cleaning the bottom, applying anti-fouling paint, replacing zincs. Do the waters you sail in have a zebra mussel problem? That freshwater pest is spreading rapidly. 4. Makes doing other maintenance easier, particularly if you unstep the mast. Since my boat is in the Northeast

Status
Not open for further replies.