Yanmar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2013
catalina catalina 27 Haida Gwaii Masset BC
I have to replace my 8hp yanmar motor. It was pronounced dead and the parts are sounding fairly expensive. Does anyone know what other motors are compatible with the gear?

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
There is another thread running on an 8hp yannie. They can be rebuilt without removal, if you have access. The parts wont be a fraction of a used engine, and nowhere close to a new one.

Perhaps explain whats actually wrong with it, thats always a good place to start. Saying it dont run or was pronounced dead doesnt tell us much. Dead why?

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I have to replace my 8hp yanmar motor. It was pronounced dead and the parts are sounding fairly expensive. Does anyone know what other motors are compatible with the gear?
I used to own an S 2 with the YSM 8 Yanmar - a very tough & reliable & economical lil' engine. I would rebuild it before replacement. Always less then half the cost to rebuild then replacing it. If the block is bad, then a YSM 10 or GM 12 Yanmar series are similar in size. They are all 1 cylinder models & work horse engines. Most failure to start / run problems with the YSM 8 are either bad fuel, blocked fuel lines at the tank, or a bad injector pump. The engine itself is very simple & will run forever, as long as it still has adequate starting compression a the piston rings. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.