Yanmar YSM-12

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hermit Scott

Hi C30 owners. My first post here. I am restoring a 79. I pulled the YSM-12 and I am rebuilding it now. Does anyone else have this engine? I was wondering how the performance is in a C30. Also I was wondering if there were any tricks to get any more horse power out of them, like a switch on the alternator to reduce drag? Turbo chargers? lol
Today, we are going down to the boat and I am going to scuba and scrape the hull, prop and check and clean all the thru-hulls. I'll be glassing a little and painting the engine compartment getting it ready to drop the YSM back in.

B

Bill Davidson

ysm-12

Hi,

I just purchased a 79 cat30 last week. We ferried it from Alameda, CA to Santa Cruz, CA, (about 16 hours) and were making 6-7knots most of the way with the tide and then 5.5-6 knots without wind or tide. I was a bit worried about the boat being underpowered before this trip.

I believe things are helped out quite a bit by the three blade brass prop. I'm not a racer so the fact that it's not folding doesn't really matter to me. Also any trips I would make outside of sailing my local area would be made with tides and currents taken into consideration. I was very impressed at the low fuel consumption also.....I still need to top off to see exactly what we used in fuel but it wasn't more than 12 gallons and maybe quite a bit less.

Cheers

C

Cap'n Ron

I also have a 1979 C-30 (Hull 1299) with a Yanmar YSM-12. I don't see too many of these around as most were fitted with the Universal diesel or the gas Atomic-4. I bought my boat a little over 11 years ago and was told that the (then siezed) Yanmar YSM-12 was a great engine and worthy of a rebuild. I too pulled the motor and rebuilt it nut for bolt, replacing 81 parts along the way. This was mostly seals and bearing surfaces, but also the piston and sleeve. I bead-blasted it and repainted in factory Yanmar gray. That was 11 years ago and it only has 130 hours on it. It runs like it's brand new and I'm told will run forever.

I've only once been in conditions where 12HP wasn't enough...that was motoring out of the harbor in a storm trying to chug up 12-foot breaking waves. I really don't think extra HP would have solved that situation...A reality check kicked in and I just turned her back into port relizing that there are much better things to do with my life than battle an (optional) storm! : )

Cap'n Ron. . .

Hi C30 owners. My first post here. I am restoring a 79. I pulled the YSM-12 and I am rebuilding it now. Does anyone else have this engine? I was wondering how the performance is in a C30. Also I was wondering if there were any tricks to get any more horse power out of them, like a switch on the alternator to reduce drag? Turbo chargers? lol
Today, we are going down to the boat and I am going to scuba and scrape the hull, prop and check and clean all the thru-hulls. I'll be glassing a little and painting the engine compartment getting it ready to drop the YSM back in.

V

Vernest

yanmar12

hi.. we bought our boat with a rebuilt yanmar ( not sure if i's 11 or 12 hp.). she's a 1978 model w.one cyclinder. i find you need to be aggressive at times especially starting off. . Generally we're happy with the motor and how little fuel it takes. We were in a headwind with 6 to 8 ft. seas last year and were flat out at 31/2 knots. On a longer trip a tip is to motor sail. that wAY YOU UTILIZE ENGINE AND SAILS.

Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.