Yanmar YSM 12 lost it,s prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trent

I recently replaced the water pump impeller on my Yanmar YSM 12 and now it will not pump the boat is out of the water so I put the p/u line in apail of water but the pump willnot wok Iwas wondering if it needs to be primed? it was working fine last fall when the boat was laid up.

E

Ed Allen

punp blues

Im not sure from your comment how long the impeller has been in. it may be that the new one was not as new as you thought and is indeed bad. it should pull form the bucket. check for leaks in the pick up hose. if the punp is sucking air it just wont do. if not you may have the impellor in backwards pumps some but not for long. its worth looking again at the installation and insure its the right way and that the impellor has not gone bad. Better to look at it now than in the water.

E

Ed Allen

pump blues

Im not sure from your comment how long the impeller has been in. it may be that the new one was not as new as you thought and is indeed bad. it should pull form the bucket. check for leaks in the pick up hose. if the punp is sucking air it just wont do. if not you may have the impeller in backwards pumps some but not for long. its worth looking again at the installation and insure its the right way and that the impeller has not gone bad. Better to look at it now than in the water.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I'd wait until it is in the water.

Trent: I have not tried to do this myself but If you have NOT filled the line with water I seriously doubt that it will suck up water without the line being primed. This was discussed several months ago. When the boat is back in the water the system will try to force water up to the pump and my bet is that it will start pumping just fine. Like the others pointed out, even if it is a new impeller it may be old and not flexible enough to pump properly. I would just wait until the boat is splashed and see what happens. You can always get another impeller and you will be ready to change it if something does not work once you in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.