Yanmar Push Button Starter Switch

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
On my 2000 340, my push button starter switch is intermittently starting. If I move my finger up or down it will engage and start the engine.
I purchased a new switch (see Pictures) which of course looks nothing like the original but my Yanmar dealer assured me it is the replacement (part no. 124070-91300).
From the pictures you can see there are 5 wires leading to the screw leads of the original (3 Red combined - 1 White) - The new switch has 2 White lead wires coming from it, both of which are NOT the same size wire gauge.
Has anyone replaced their switch with the similar type new switch I have?
Did the gauge matter and which side did you use for the Hot lead (Ring connection or Bayonet) ? Being a push button I don't think it may matter as it is only engaged when you push the button, but I don't want to fry my switch trying.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Attachments

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The part seems to be the current Yanmar original. A push button switch only needs two terminals used to interrupt power in a single circuit. It seems like the two terminals with screws on your current switch are also being used as a buss connector for other wiring. As a test you may piggy back your new switch on to the two screw terminals of the old one to see if the engine properly starts as push button switches are frequently misdiagnosed for what is a drop in voltage from old wiring. If it starts repeatedly then it is the switch that needs replacement. At this point I would get two connector boxes and transfer the corresponding wires to each of the boxes. Wait to hear from others and you will probably get a more detailed technical answer.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Before ya change it, are ya sure it is not the common Yanmar starter problem of bad connections in the two multi-wire plugs. Might save ya some heartburn if it that instead of the switch itself.
Also, you may have a different instrument panel set-up than the one that switch goes in?

Sep 26, 2008
Kloudie1,
I went in the direction you are saying from the beginning of this intermittent starting issue.
I cleaned, with steel wool, all the connections from the starter itself, back to the batteries and up to the Starter Button and everything in between you can get access to. The pictures you are seeing was from before any cleaning of contacts were done, that may be why they look like they are in need of cleaning.
The button itself seems sloppy when you push on it. Up and down motion, as I push in, gets it to make contact and starts the engine.
I would love it to be just clean the fittings and screws. There's not a lot of extra wire to work with in there, at best, maybe 3 inches of play that allows me to remove the faceplate and get access to the screws.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
good deal, sailcapt.. looks like Phil has come through again! He is the man!

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
Having same problem with push button start, Hunter 2000, 380. Some what improved with cleaning ignition key switch. Just started happening as I prepare to leave for 900 mile trip back home....

Very worrisome... for the loss of a nail, the shoe was lost....

Access is terrible and finding anyone who knows how to repair the small stuff, that turns out to be major, is almost impossible.

There are no small problems at sea.

My engine idiot lights and buzzer also don't work. Wont find that in the boat/engine survey.

Viper

Sep 26, 2008
Follow Up...And Many Questions
I removed the Original Yanmar Push Button Switch and replaced it with the New Yanmar Switch. Wiring I thought would be straight forward turns out differently. What am I missing here?

I replace the wires just as they were on the original, but now, the engine starts when I turn the Key. Which tells me its bypassed the switch (hot wired) and keeps the starter activated.

I tried reversing the wiring (switching the poles) but still the same outcome. It gives a key activate engine start.
When I put the original switch back it works as it should (push button activate start). But intermittent. Which is what started this whole project in the first place.

I did a Continuity Check on the New switch. I get a reading of 1 (one) when I push the button in. I should be getting a 0 (zero). When the button is not pushed in I get fluctuating readings.

What am I missing here? I'm thinking a bad (new) switch. I know I can return it to Phil here at this site, in case it is the switch, but I would really like to trouble shoot this first before doing that.

I even wired the switch I referenced in my first post (which was the wrong one to begin with) (which CAN'T be returned...but that's a whole other story) and that works the right way. Push it in...start the engine.

Any help and suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you.

Attachments

Last edited:

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
The push button switch that Yanmar supplies is not likely the one used on your boat by Hunter. See Phil's post above.

Sep 26, 2008
Viper,
I bought the switch from this site(Phil). That's what is so weird about this. The switch always shows current flowing through it, when it should show none until you push the button in. That's what leading me to think it's a simple defect. I willing to try anything, but I think I need another new switch.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Just a thought on your pics... I see you're using the diode function on your meter. May I suggest you use the 200 ohm setting? You'll get more reliable measurements that way.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
It is a little known fact that a switch that operates a device with a coil will generally have a diode in it to ground the back EMF (electromotive Force = volts and current) when you release the switch and the coils magnetic field collapses. So your diode test results of 3.6 volts is probably correct. Try reversing the test leads to confirm.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
That's pretty weird. If you'll remind me Monday with a PM I'll check with the guy who builds the panels.

Sep 26, 2008
Final installation completed. My many thanks to Phil and Dave here at the Sailboat Owners Store. They sent out a replacement switch, received it yesterday. This one tested out completely opposite of the first one, meaning it would work.
I installed it today and the engine starts first time every time.
I can't say enough about Phil and Dave, just good people.
Thanks again and my constant referrals.