Yanmar instrument panel overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2006
Hunter 34 Bayou Chico - Pensacola
The Yanmar 3GM30F instruments on my 84 Hunter are well worn and I'd like to replace everything but can't get much advice on replacements. I've sent email to 2 Yanmar distributors with no reply. My questions are about the oil pressure gage and the tach. I'd like to replace the tach with one that includes an hour meter and I'd like to replace the oil pressure gage with one that uses a sender and wire instead of the factory item that actually has a pressure tube that connects the engine to the gage. Anybody know of a helpful source for the parts I need?

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Teleflex

usually provides OEM gauges to panel manufacturers. There aren't too many other gauge manufacturers out there. Look at the back of the gauges and find out who made them.

Jun 25, 2006
Re: yanmar parts

I noticed that their Web site was very good but I'm in MS so they aren't suppose to sell Yanmar stuff to me but I don't know that they couldn't sell the appropriate instruments. I'll send them an email and ask.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Mickey, based on the picture you provided, I don’t think that the oil pressure gauge or the other one is original. I’ll bet those were installed by one of the previous owners. Any of the gauge manufacturers can supply a fairly inexpensive electric oil pressure gauge. Teleflex, Stewart-Warner, and VDO are some suppliers.. Be sure that you get a “marine” version that is made to be out in the sun and rain instead of one that is made to be inside of a car. A caution … be careful to not put too much stuff hanging on the fitting that goes into the engine block. The weight of an electric sender hung off the side of a coupler and tee fitting can quickly crack the fitting at the block and the engine oil will be pumped out.
The tachometer is a Yanmar original , Part # 128170-9110 I don’t know if one with an hour meter is available that will work with the electronic pick-up on your engine. A “Hobbs” hour meter, or any of a bunch of other suppliers is probably much less expensive.. gauges and hour meters are available through your local auto parts stores, like NAPA..
You are probably in the Yanmar territory of Laborde Products in Covington Louisiana.. 985-892-0107
http://labordeproducts.com/

Jun 25, 2006
Thanks. Do you know what the 4 warning lights would include? I know that low oil pressure, high water temp, and low charging voltage is typical but what's the 4th light?

Nov 6, 2006
I dunno about that 4th light, Mickey.. Mine has the original panel and it has 4 lights, one of which is marked "RESERVE" and is not operable. The others are as you know, oil press, water temp, and charging..

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Try VDO.

VDO was mentioned above. My boat originally had the optional full gauge panel from VDO(picture). When I repowered with a new 3YM30 I installed the new but much less informational panel. Sold the old panel with the 2QM20.

Attachments

shorty

Apr 14, 2005
Pearson P34 Mt Desert, ME
I tried,

granted not too hard, to find a tach w/an hour meter but told no by my Yanmar parts distributor. I am installing a telex hour meter in the new breaker panel (in the cabin) I am wiring up.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
You CAN get a tach with an hour meter in it

because they STILL make them. They are just a little bit harder to find, so if you don't get satisfaction from your Yanmar guy, get with it and call Teleflex or the other vendors mentioned here. Doesn't matter what kinda engine pickup you have, the hour meter simply gets wired into the power on circuit, NOT the engine itself. Whenever the KEY is ON, the hour meter clicks merrily along!:)

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
That fourth light

According to the Yanmar 3GM manual, the fourth light is for failure of the bellows on a sail drive. I have never seen one, and didn't even know they ever made a sail drive. But thats what the book says. I agree with the the others about the guages. Any brand will work, and there are three basic sizes. 2" 2 and 1/16" and 2 and 5/8". All will work, but a guage designed for marine use will last longer if exposed to the elements. Other than that, it makes no difference. You probably need to go to an electric temp. guage, as the capillaries on most mechanicals is not long enough if you want to mount it back by the helm station. After long and serious searching, I found a mechanical SW with a 12' capillary, but am going to go with an electric.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
Engine panel

There is really nothing special about engine and panel. They all use a ignition switch and a tech meter. The tech meter runs off the AC tab off the alternator. I used a piece of starboard to replace the original Volvo panel. Teleflex has a nice tech with hour meter for pretty much the same price.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
The issue with the tachometer is not that the hour meter will work but rather that the tach will work with the flywheel pickup that is on the engine.. Of course you can buy a tach with an alternator pick up but that is not what Yanmar uses.. You also have to accept that the alternator pick-up tachometers are accurate only with the correct ratio between the drive pulley and the alternator pulley (some have dip switches to select a few alternate sizes) and you have to believe that that there is no belt slippage..

Jun 25, 2006
-Morgan 323 Port of Everett Marina
Yanmar 30gm30 - tach

I have the same issue. There never has been an hour meter installed. I was told that the Yanmar tachs are driven off the alternator. The service man told me he had never had to replace the tach on a Yanmar panel and to look for a bad connection or possible alternator issue. Alternator seems to be charging just fine. do i need to by a tach specifically for diesel and 3 cyl engine?

C

Corky Shuda

Hunter owner

Just read through all the above e-mail. I have a non-functioning Tach/hour meter that services a Yanmar 4JH2 E diesel on a 2000 Hunter 410. The tach is getting power and the flywheel sending unit is A-OK (Ohm reading is 1.62). All other gauges on the panel are receiving/reporting correctly. RPM's on the tach always reads ZERO. Where do I find a replacement for this turkey? I'll split the tach/hour meter function if I have to.

Thanks Y'all! Corky

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Only dealers in your service area may sell you Yanmar parts. Have you contacted one of these guys?

Mississippi (+1)

Distributor

Covington (Louisiana) Laborde Products 74257 Hwy 25
70435 Covington (Louisiana)
Louisiana 985.892.0107

www.labordeproducts.com
Dealer

Ocean Springs MS Leasure Marine LLC 1926 Bienville Blvd.
39564 Ocean Springs MS
Mississippi Tel: 228 872 4415
Fax: 228 872 4506

I think you will find that Yanmar equiped their engines with either the B or C panel (b was tach and some lights & buzzers). You also would need to mfg some type of wiring harness to connect the additional gauges. This is a very expensive upgrade so you may want to consider some alternatives like adding just the gauges that you think are important.

I would also like a water temp/ oil pressure gauge, but would never consider removing the buzzers & lights. There are way to many distraction on a sailboat to consider a gauge your only notice to a malfunction.

capejt

May 17, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 New London, CT
I rebuilt my engine panel. I used a piece of smoked plexiglass and meters purchased from the J.C. Whitney catalog (online). I used digital read outs for oil pressure and temperature, also a telelex fuel guage and an hour meter. No tach (yet) but it would be nice. It ended up looking a lot like Ed Schenk's old panel pictured.
The only problem I had was with the oil pressure sender for the new meter. It's a tight fit under the oil filter (2QM15) so I had to install a short extension. Now the readings vary a lot.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
mickey8044, the 4th could be for Sail Drive bellow leak alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.