Yanmar engine won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adrienne

I have a 9 housepower (inboard) Yanmar diesel engine on my Hunter 260. In May, motored the boat home from the yard and all was well. After many days of rain, checked on the boat, and found/smelled diesel fuel under the engine. Pumped fuel out, and found what I believe to be the fuel return line which had come off the nub. Reattached the line and initially the engine turned over and then stopped. Tried to "bleed" line (I thought there must be air in the line)to no avail (I don't have a Yanmar engine schematic and am now at a loss). Help!

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Try this.

Adrienne: I know you said that you bled the system, but sometimes it appears to be bled and there is still air in the system. Have someone turn the engine over and open the bleed screw (be sure that you have some absorbant material under then engine and some rags too). Once you no longer see any foam or bubbles coming out of the bleed screw you can try starting the engine again. Watch loose clothing, hair, jewelery etc. If your engine still does not run, I would guess that you have some other leak in the system.

C

crazy dave

Bleeding yyour fuel line

First make sure your fuel line on top of the tank is open. Is your filter clogged and if so, replasce the fuel filter. Make sure you have no water in the line. You can see water at the bottom of diesel and/or if the fuel is chalky, you will have to get rid of the fuel as it has water in it. Big Mess. Now to bleed. Go to the pump and you will see a pump handle. Make sure the line going from the pump to the cannister or filter is open via screw on the top. Pump until fuel is coming out and it is good fuel. Then close screw. Follow to the secondary position. You will need to loosen screw with a 10mm and again pump till fuel comes out. That should be enough for you to start the engine. Remember not to start engine with starter for more than 20-30 seconds or you will suck water into the engine. Crazy Dave Condon ps You have the 270 wing which I introduced with another fellow in Annapolis. That is a nice stable boat with a decent engine.

M

Mike Mills

water in fuel

If you have water in your fuel this is what to do. remove any tank top fitting to give access to fuel ,take length of about one quarter bore tube and push into hole making sure that it goes vertically straight to the bottom of tank at tanks deepest point.this is very important diesel floats on top of water ,so if you let boat stand for a day or two all the water will seperate and be under the diesel.suck on the tube and when water comes put end into plastic bottle .you will see when all the water is out as the fuel starts to come into your bottle.this is by far the best method of catching the contaminated fuel just screw the top on your bottle and all is contained.next clean out filters,make sure clean fuel is coming to filter this is done by running fuel into bottle until fuel is good and water free bleed engine as normal .a trick of the trade,,take a roll of cling film and wrap tightly round each union .this will guarantee airtight fittings just a matter of removing cling film one at a time to uncover leak ,not a good idea to leave cling film in situ as potential fire risk

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
If it is water in the fuel...

If you find water in the fuel, it is probably the o-ring around the fuel filler cap. Be sure to replace the o-ring (good preventative measure anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.