Yanmar Engine Control Panel Upgrade

Jan 19, 2018
Hunter Cherubini 30 Cayuga Lake, NY
I am the new owner of a 1980 Hunter Cherubini 30 ft with a fairly new Yanmar engine. Unfortunately the engine control panel is not as new and being and engineer, I'd like to know a little bit more about my engine while it is running. Has anyone here had experience with swapping out an old panel for a new model? I'm also considering adding additional electronics to the boat and wondered if there is a way to link my engine monitoring to a newer display for Wind speed, direction, depth, speed through water, GPS etc.. I'm considering Raymarine or Lowrance but interested in hear the experience of seasoned boat owners.

Attachments

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I haven't done the upgrade yet but I'll be interested in a cost estimate.
On your pic...
Were you running @ almost 4000 RPM? What model Yanmar did you install?

Jan 19, 2018
The previous owner installed a 2YM15. It runs smooth and pushes the boat well. I can't waterski but it doesn't feel like it's ever struggling.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Not Yanmar but I installed a Noland Engineering RS11 and now have water temp, oil pressure, rpm, voltage, fuel level all on my chart plotter or mfd. I left the original water temp/ idiot light OP in place as backup.

Mahalo

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Were you running @ almost 4000 RPM?
The previous owner installed a 2YM15
MJ, I have the 3YM 20 in my '77 h30. The engine should run at 3600 rpms while under load. You don't want to do this but for a minute or so after warmup. Normal cruising rpm is about 80% of WOT or approx. 3000 rpm. Don't idle for very long and before shutdown run the rpms to max a couple of times to blow out any carbon deposits. Did the boat come with the engine manual? You're going to love sailing this boat. Good luck with it.

Jan 19, 2018
So I was looking on EBay today and saw the B20 engine control panel for $799! Talk about Sticker Shock. Holy Moly. What I have works so I'm in no hurry. I may still investigate other options (tying into a GPS/Multi function display).

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Makes me think of the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

dj

Jan 19, 2018
dLj, true enough. There are always more dodads and thing-a-mo-bobs to spend money on with a boat.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Unfortunately the engine control panel is not as new
MJ, I was going thru that thread again and the panel you have is the original panel for the YM models. The upgrade is $$$. Better to install after market gauges.

Jan 19, 2018
Yes it is. LeslieTroyer suggested a unit from Noland Engineering RS11 that would convert the engine sensor signals to CANBUS which can be displayed on GPS / Chartplotters with NMEA 2000 capability. It's under $400 so that is more in my range, but how much will I really be using this on a SAILBOAT?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
[QUOTE="Mohawk Jack, post: 1430957, member: 140443"It's under $400 so that is more in my range, but how much will I really be using this on a SAILBOAT?[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess that depends upon who you ask. I'm an old school sailor and don't use much of any of the many gadgets out there. KISS (keep it simple stupid) is my guiding principal. I run a log book for my motor. Don't even have a tachometer in my instrument panel, just temp, oil and amps on the panel. But to each their own, toys can be a lot of fun...

dj

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Do you have room to replace the wooden panel with a larger one and add oil, temp and fuel maybe? Not sure you need much else? I see you have separate hourmeter. The VDO tach's are notorious for the LCD display to stop working. The instrument still has the hours, just not showing. There's many that have tried various fixes, from cleaning contacts to replace the lcd strip, all with varying success. Search this forum and Google for VDO or Yanmar hour.