Yanmar 4JH4E oil fill....

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
So I am familiarizing myself with my new engine and will change the oil before my trip in a few weeks. Manual is not the best but as typical fill port on top of engine.... however I have two oil fill caps..... both yellow and both say oil. See photos. Also it doesn't say in manual however there looks like an oil drain plug under the pan that is attached to dip stick tube? Is that correct or do we use the typical pump? The manuals for this engine really are vague not like the book I had with my 3HM35f on old boat. Thanks!
Top of engine....
IMG_4864.JPGIMG_4863.JPG
Side.....
IMG_4863.JPG

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
They are duplicate fills - some boat designers stuff an engine so tight as to limit access to one so Yanmar anticipates the need for both top and side fills.

The dip stick is oriented toward the bottom of the pan which is where the drain is. They aren't attached.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Thanks! How civilized of yanmar...... love the idea of a drain plus as well for oil!

Attachments

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Leave the banjo bolt in place on the dipstick tube fitting and get yourself a vacuum oil extractor, keeps the job neat and contains the waste oil by extracting through the dipstick tube.

Jun 5, 2004
Hunter 44 Mystic, Ct
I've used a vacuum extractor on my 4JH4E since I purchased the boat new. Takes a bit of time to get all of the oil out, but works well and as Gunni said the engine bilge stays a lot cleaner. I refill the oil through the top fill port as it is easier to access.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
I have an excellent oil extractor and will use it as suggested. Much cleaner..... Just seemed so novel to have a drain plug on my boat inboard after all these years.... was a bit tickled I guess!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Ditto here. I've always filled the oil though the top cap, which is on the valve cover on our 4JH2-TE.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I have a permanent pump attached to that dipstick drain with an inline valve so that it can be physically turned off before the pump and before it changes from tubing to hose. This allows very quick and easy oil changes.