Yanmar 4JH2 TE for 410

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daniel

Need info on a Yanmar 4JH2 TE (62 HP) on a 410: 1. What is average RPM required to achive body velocity (calm sea, no wind)? 2. What is fuel consumption based on experiance ? 3. Any known experiance with the 4JH2 E (51 HP) versus 4JH2 TE ? Thanks.

W

Wayne Estabrooks

410 with 50 hp

In May of this year I chartered a Hunter 410 with a 51 hp engine. I was very impressed with the smoothness, and the speed and performance motoring. I could not imagine needing a larger engine than the standard one except maybe in high head winds and seas. We ran the engine at least 2 hours a day usually more for refrigeration and motored one day for about 5 hours and another day for 2 hours. We put 10.8 gallons in to top off the diesel tank after a week aboard.

D

Dave Fraser

62HP Performance

I own a P42 with a Yanmar 62 HP turbo-diesel. After two years experience, in all types of sea conditions, this is a GREAT engine. It consumes about 1 gallon per hour at 2800 RPM. The turbo comes on at 2300 RPM, so if you run it below this level, your fuel consumption will be reduced by about 1/3. Performance is relative to your prop size and pitch. We have a 3 blade max-prop with variable pitch. Set at 18 degrees, we power at 8 knots into moderate headseas at 2800 RPM. We have found this to be an extremely reliable engine, that just humming along. Hope this helps.

B

Brad Cavedo

Ditto

I will echo Dave's comments. We too have a P42 with the 62 HP turbo. The 41 hull is the same as the 42. We have a two blade folding prop. motor at 7.9 kts at 3000 rpm. engine will run up to 3750 rmp, so 3000 is 80% of full power, which is where you should cruise. We could stand a larger propeller but performance under sail is so great that we are happy with prop. Fuel consumption is between 1 gallon and 1.25 an hour. Its hard to know for sure because of genset running time, about 2 hours or more a day.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
4JH2E

I have 340 engine hours on the 4JH2E on my 410. So far my average fuel consumption is .63 gph. I usually cruise at 6.5 knots @ 2500 rpm. Can't imagine why anyone would want the larger engine on this boat, unless you enjoy higher fuel rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.