Yanmar 3YM30, adding Coolant Temp Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
I want to add a CruzPro T60 Gauge to my H33, the existing sensor is a limit switch type.
Has anyone replaced it with resistive sensor?
What did you use, brand/model?

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
coolant temp upgrade

Hey sea_casper
I’d recommend keeping the warning light/buzzer temp switch and simply adding an additional coolant gage and sensor. That way you still have a warning if you overheat.
The thermisters for all coolant temp gages are the same electrically. Just make sure it is an engine coolant temp sensor and you will be OK. Your auto parts store should carry them.
also they all have iron pipe (IP) threads so you might need a reducer to get the IP plug hole down to size.

Jun 28, 2005
CruzPro has warning output

Hey sea_casper
I’d recommend keeping the warning light/buzzer temp switch and simply adding an additional coolant gage and sensor. That way you still have a warning if you overheat.
The thermisters for all coolant temp gages are the same electrically. Just make sure it is an engine coolant temp sensor and you will be OK. Your auto parts store should carry them.
also they all have iron pipe (IP) threads so you might need a reducer to get the IP plug hole down to size.
The CruzPro has a built-in 85 dB audible alarm. Settable high and low temperature alarms.

Jun 28, 2005
No overheating yet.

Here's some ideas from another post a year ago

3YM30 Temp gauge

BTW, have you had any issues with overheating?
No but I haven't exceeded 3400RPM, The boat is new to me, and so far we have only gone ~300 mi, mostly under power, up the ICW from Stuart, FL to Georgia.

This spring we will go the rest of the way to Block Island.

Adding a tee like Scott did is certainly an option, I still prefer a single sensor solution, especially since it includes an alarm.

Jun 28, 2005
Looking through the archives, it seems the sensor is a 3/8" NPT type sender.

According to CruzPro the following types work with the T60:

U-1: VDO Type 1 temperature sender (10-180 ohm, 92-276 deg F)
U-2: VDO Type 2 temperature sender (10-180 ohm, 45 deg C to 155 deg C)
U-3: VDO Type 5 temperature sender (10-180 ohm, 93 deg F to 272 deg F)
U-3: VDO Type 320.720 temp. sender (10-180 ohm, 93 deg F to 272 deg F)
U-4: Teleflex 10-180 ohm sender, 117 deg F to 294 deg F, 47 deg C to 145 deg C)"
U-5: Cyberdyne 1000-75 ohm sender to 70 deg F to 260 deg F

Now if anyone has a particular recommendation, I will be set to go.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
I installed a CruzPro

Installed a CruzPro T30 engine temp gauge with over temp alarm feature some years ago and it works great. I have a 3GM30F Yanmar in a 2000 H340.
I used the original factory blue/white wire from the old sensor that runs to the idiot light in the pedestal. I replace the engine sensor with a Telflex 3/8” sensor but I don't recall the model. The ground wire for the CruzPro gauge was tapped into a large ground wire on the fuel gauge in the pedestal and the positive wire was tapped into the Positive lead on the ignition switch. The gauge worked OK and was calibrated for the Telflex sensor (U-4). I don't remember exactly what I did with the idiot light wires in the pedestal, but I think that the factory blue/white wire from the sensor was wired directly to the alarm buzzer on the contact (S-) that also held the blue/white wire going to the idiot light. I disconnected the wire to the light. The light now works only for the oil pressure.

In the slip, and in cold water, the temp gauge reads about ~150F or so and at full throttle out on the bay the engine gets up to about 160+F. The alarm was set at 195-200F.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
From the 3YM30 Service Manual. Hunter has been using these since 2004 in the H33 and H36.

Thermostat is set to open at 69.5 - 72.5C and wide open at 85C or 185F.
Overheat alarm is set to go off between 93-97 C or 199.4F - 206F.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
No but I haven't exceeded 3400RPM, The boat is new to me, and so far we have only gone ~300 mi, mostly under power, up the ICW from Stuart, FL to Georgia.

This spring we will go the rest of the way to Block Island.

Adding a tee like Scott did is certainly an option, I still prefer a single sensor solution, especially since it includes an alarm.

No-load wide open is 3850, under load I'm around 3600 wide open. Cruising at 2800 - 3000 seems to be the sweet spot. I will open it up to full for a short period to clean out the cob-webs once a month.

Reason I asked about overheating is the early 3YM30's had an overheating problem as I did when we first got the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.