Yanmar 2YM15 (2016)

Feb 22, 2009
Hunter 386 Florida
I have a brand new, in the crate Yanmar 2YM15 (2016).
I had a 1982 Hunter 30 that I wanted to re-power but storms took care of that idea.
In the market for an upgrade in size (used) and want to know if that engine could fit in a 34ft to 38ft Hunter (knowing that motor mounts may need to be adjusted) in a 1996 through 2006 model. Thanking you in advance for your help and knowledge. Jimbo

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Fit? I'm sure it will fit easily. Power, not enough. My B32 has 3YM20 hp, the 34s have the 22 I think.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
As to fitting a new motor in an old space:

A re-power will probably involve an exhaust output on the opposite side of the present motor and that might mean relocation of the water-lock too. That means replacement and reroute of the hose to the existing over board - perhaps installation of a new overboard on the opposite side from the present location. The sea water cooling intake positions/changes need to be considered too.

Likely the motor mounts will need re-positioning and that means careful measurement (in the plan axis) so as to maintain longitudinal shaft alignment relative to the stern tube/stuffing box assembly. Accordingly the shaft might (probably will) need to be a different length. That is going to be dictated by the eventual plan-position of the transmission output flange position.

The other thing is that the maintenance items on the new motor - motor mounted fuel filter, oil filter, coolant and seawater drains - need to end up accessible. Hunter typically builds with extremely limited access to either side side of the motor so maintenance is inconvenient in the first place. That usually means very much less convenient access in a re-power case.

This is not an exhaustive list - just the things I have had to reckon with. Anything can be done and done well but you might also want to check the inner recesses you bank account. Either way remember you need to be careful to choose good talent to do this work and that will include the carpentry too -- to say nothing of a well drafted contract.

My take is a re-power with a well built (re manufactured) clone of the present motor is far better than putting a new model motor to an old design engine space.

Charles

ps Your crate motor is thin in the HP department - even for a 30.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Would definitely be underpowered for a 34 to 36 foot boat. Had a Hunter 33.5 with a 2GM20F that was underpowered. My present Beneteau 343 has a 3YM30 that is a good fit power wise.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I agree the 2YM15 is a bit under powered for a h30. I replaced the original YSB12 with the 3YM20. Rated at 21hp at 3600 rpms. Was thinking about the 3YM30 but thought that might be overkill. The 2YM15 might be a good fit, though, for something in the 25 - 27 foot range. Of course, if all you do is motor out of the marina and motor back in, the 2YM15 might do. But, when you really need more power and it's not there, well.....