Yanmar 2qm15 Fall Maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussB

Nov 3, 2007
S2 9.2A Bay City MI
Our 9.2 is hauled for winter. It is time for fall maintenance and winterizing. Does anyone have any tips for providing cooling water to run engine? I am also interested in any tips for handling fuel line replacement, filter changes and oil changes. I am afraid of making a mess; I want to avoid fuel and oil in the bildge.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I have to do it the first time myself. I fired the engine up on the hard before I launchedthis summer though. I had the bucket in the cabin, disconnected the intake hose from the through hull and ran it into the bucket. It is good, in that it forces you to check that hose...mine was actually verging on failure with a split just above the nipple.

If you run from a bucket in the cockpit, which some people do to keep water out of the cabin, be careful. I was reading about this on ask all sailors and you must pull the hose out before you cut the engine or you risk getting water into your engine, potentially ruining it. This might only be a problem if you circulate the water back into the same bucket from the exhaust, but think it out and don't take chances. There is a risk that the water can back up thorugh the muffler into your exhaust valves.

The 2QM15 just doesn't pump enough water, in my experience, to drain a 5 gallon bucket all that quickly. I don't know if I will bother recirculating the antifreeze or if I will just hang a bucket under the exhaust and blow five gallons through the system. I haven't finished my research and I don't know how I'd adapt a hose to the exhaust to recirculate it, if I wanted to.

For oil and filter changes, bite the bullet and get a vacuum reservoir made for the job. I bought a small one for about $40 and it works well and was worth the investment. It holds about a gallon and I figure that I can use it for all my mowers, blowers, etc...too. Make sure you get some oil absorbant mats to catch any drips. I had to clean a ton of diesel from a leaky tank out of my bilge and after a ton of effort it is still marginal. I didn't want to pollute so I collected all the dirty bilge water in buckets that I now need to discard properly. The engine over bilge set up is an environmental problem destined to happen, so I added a bilge filter to my bilge pump near the outlet. I bought the proprietary $50 bilgeclean filter off ebay for $10 and the housing off ebay for $25. However, the whole set up is pretty reasonable at about $100 from the manufacturer. I put it in because congress hadn't passed the waiver on discharge from small boats yet, but I don't regret it because someone could still turn you in for a "sheen on the water." I also bought a reusable oil/fuel absorber to throw in the bilge and it works great. Another simple way to prevent discharge it to make sure you bilge pump switch is above your pump, that prevents the oil floating on the surface from being pumped out. Any way you slice it the design makes for a mess these days. In 1980's nobody cared I guess.

Anybody else got some tips for us?

Scup

May 18, 2004
S2 27 Southern Lake Michigan
Something to consider...

I posted a similar question on the Yahoo Yanmar User's group for my 1GM10. Found out something interesting. If you run the pink (or purple) stuff through the engine from a 5 gallon bucket WHILE ON THE HARD, you may not get the engine up to temp enough to open the thermostat. If that's the case, raw water will remain in the block behind the thermostat ---> below freezing temps in the winter ---> water freezes and expands ---> block cracks ---> big $$$ problems come spring. I'm heading out to my boat tomorrow to open the block drain petcock, just to make sure I don't crack the block this winter. I'm sure that a good bit of the pink stuff will come out, but that's okay. Better than the alternative. :)

As always, YMMV.

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
Scup, this is true only for raw water cooled engines. If you have antifreeze and a heat exchanger it will not matter if the thermostat is closed. For my 3gm30 fresh water cooled (antifreeze and heat exchanger) I removed the hose from the sea strainer and put it in a bucket with 2 gallons of antifreeze. After about 1 gallon went through it was perfect. My wife said it was coming out green after only 1/2 gallon was used but I wanted to be sure!
PS I drained my water lift muffler before I ran the anti freeze through the motor as I didn't want to dilute it in the muffler.

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
To run the motor on the hard I would put the sea strainer hose in a bucket and keep the buckect filled with water from a hose. When I use these stupid pumps for changing oil, the oil has to be really hot or I can't pump it (this requires futher development). It does work, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.