Yanmar 2GM20F Engine Hoses?

Mar 6, 2005
Hunter 310 Lake Canyon Yacht Club, Texas
I have a Yanmar 2GM20F in my Hunter 310. I want to replace the various engine cooling hoses as they are showing some small cracks and just getting a bit old.

I have noticed that there are 2 type of hoses but with the same ID (5/8"). There is a run to and from the water heater but most stay on/around the engine. I have either a green stripped Versa Flex or blue stripped Trident Flex. My question is: Can I replace it all with the same hose or what is the reason for the 2 different hoses.

Thanks, KenK

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My guess would be the engine manufacture never knows in what application the engine will end up in. In a boat, the factory includes the water heater in the engineloop, so uses other (cheaper?) hoses.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Call your Yanmar dealer... they have the original hoses to fit your engine with all the bends etc....

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Call your Yanmar dealer... they have the original hoses to fit your engine with all the bends etc....
I beluve kenk refers to hose thatcruns to and from engine to "outside" connections not within engine.

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
I agree with Ron. We replaced the 5/8ID hoses with trident flex (the type with the wire wound between the inner and outer layers that prevents kinking on tight radius bends and also prevents collapsing when used on the suction side of your raw water intake for engine and air conditioner pump). That could be the difference in the types of hose used. The heater hose sold at big box stores is much thinner than the trident and has no internal wire. Its good hose and we used it on raw water and water heater. I also replaced the radiator-style hoses one the engine freshwater cooling system. You have to take the thermostat off as I recall to change one of them...good time to change the thermostat as well. I ordered those hoses from my local yanmar dealer, they weren't too costly. Dan

Mar 6, 2005
Hunter 310 Lake Canyon Yacht Club, Texas
Thanks to all. Will contact Yanmar to ensure I get the correct hoses. That was my next stop anyway. I don't mind replacing a hose for something like the water heater with a higher quality/price/spec hose than what it truly required as long as it doesn't cost me too much more. It'll just make it easier to order if it's 1 type of hose. Worse case, is that I ensure that I order appropriate lengths of 2 hoses compared to what I already have. I had not thought about how some hoses might be purchased with a bend already made into it .. much like a car radiator hose.. I can refer to the Yanmar manual & parts list for that. I assumed you buy regular hose and bend it as you attach.

Thanks, Ken

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
the formed hoses must be ordered from yan mar. be prepared for up to a 2 month wait for some of them and carry a lot of repair tape to fix them in the meantime. the hoses from engine block int hot water heater can be replaced with any good quality heater hose rated for the temp and pressure specified by the hot water heater manufacturer. i've used trident and they are good hoses. watch for abrasion of the hoses where they pass thru the bulkhead , add antichafe and plan to replace ASAP before they blow and overheat your engine . (ask me how i know this...)

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
+1 for antichafe. I cut some of the cheaper hose I had into in short lengths, split it down its length, then "snapped" it over the heater hose where it needed protection. Tie wrapped it in place and it works great.
Looked back and I paid $25 to yanmar for the formed 5/8 cooling water pipe that goes from the raw water pump output to the heat exchanger inlet. It was shaped like a 18 inch fish hook. I think I used trident on the rest of the 5/8 hose since they weren't formed to hold a shape.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
Have the same engine and finally realized that OEM hoses from a yanmar dealer are the best way to go. I replaced the water hose from water pump to engine block with a similar hose from a local hose shop. It never fit right and rubbed against the alternator. Finally replaced with OEM hose and it fit like magic. You might can replace some of the hoses with close or similar versions but most have very tight tolerances.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I thought I could save some bucks by using heater hose in place of the formed hose from the raw water pump to the heat exchanger. Ended up overheating. The hose would collapse where it made a sharp bend. Live and learn.