Yammer 2GM20f fuel leak

Aug 31, 2004
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
On my Oday 322, I found fuel leaking into the bilge, it appears to be the fuel lift pump gasket where the pump attaches to the engine. Problem is how to get at it to replace the gasket. I was able to get a wrench on one of the bolts, but there is only room to move the wrench about a quarter of an inch due to other engine parts being in the way. I cannot even find a way to get at the second bolt.
Has anyone else found a way to replace this gasket?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Should not be fuel at that gasket, only engine oil. Leak may be due to loosening of the top round cover of the pump body. You can tighten those screws using a “90 degree” Phillips driver.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I replaced my lift pump when it was leaking into the engine bilge. Her is a post about the process. Yanmar engine anodes Hunter31 I could not find a leak on the pump, but the screws holding the clamshell around the diaphragm on my old pump were completely frozen. Double check the banjo bolts on the lift pump as well.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Kloudie is right any fuel leak found at the base bolts is originating somewhere else in the pump or fuel lines. Your dilemma about removing the pump is every mechanics daily chore; you first have to remove all other components blocking your access. There is one form of fuel leak from the lift pump that could be critical and that is one that originates from a ruptured diaphragm. I usually manifests itself from fuel leaking out through a small breathing hole at the bottom of the pump body. The problem is that as fuel leaks from one side of the chamber to the other it also leaks into the oil crankcase through the arm plunger. Fuel in the crankcase will thin out the oil thus reducing significantly its lubricating ability. One tell tale is a raised oil level. If the pump is bad, just replace.

Aug 31, 2004
Oday 322 St Clair Shores
Thanks Kloudie and others for feedback, I am still learning the details of diesel engines but makes sense that it would be an oil leak at that gasket, not diesel. I'll try tightening the fuel body first - and looks like a 90 degree phillips will be necessary, tried with a stubby but no luck. Given access, if tightening screws does not work will break down and track down a mechanic - often takes weeks to get scheduled in my area if they return calls at all :-(