Yamaha to edson

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
Their are boxes out available that are used for dual station applications that might work for this situation. Then I don't have to figure one out myself. Looks like the solution is one short cable from the motor . Bell crank / dual helm splitter . Then another cable to the wheel.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Sounds like you may have hit upon a workable solution. Only commercial item I found that might work was this. - no idea of price though!

http://www.controllking.com

I had thought you could do something like this in the pedestal if there was enough room.

Attachments

p369

Jan 13, 2016
Hunter 260 Charleston
Hi, I am new around these forums (first post, in fact). I've had my 2002 Hunter 260 for about 6 years now. I recently decided to repower my boat from a mercury 9.9 to a yamaha 9.9. Unfortunately, i did not see this thread and now I have run into the same problem. @MaxinCalgary, were you ever able to come up with a solution? thanks for your help!

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
P369.
No I never resolved this issue . I taped over the symbol on the lever and just got use to it.
I looked at some bell crank solutions and the only place to mount them is under the helm seat. It would add cables and complexity and be a little busy.
It seemed to be something to jam up.
Let me know if you come up with a solution .

p369

Jan 13, 2016
Hunter 260 Charleston
Thanks for the info. I'll let you know if I am able to come up with a solution.

On another note, I found out today that there isn't enough clearance in the motor well for the shift cable when the motor is in the full up position. The dealer and I are looking at different mounting possibilities such as a spacer or a different bracket. Did you run into the same issue?

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
The first motor I purchased was a remote T9.9. We swapped it out for the tiller version and removed the handle and added the remote cable kit. The reason was I wanted a manual as well as electric start. ( 9.9 for a sailboat seemed daft being just electric. )
I have a easy steer connecting rod so I put the wheel over and then the bracket clears the side of the engine well.

p369

Jan 13, 2016
Hunter 260 Charleston
That interesting. I wonder if your switching to the tiller version alleviated you on the motor well clearance issue as well as allowed you to have manual start. Would you happen to have any pictures of your motor/steering set up? I'll try to post a picture of the issue in running into later today. Thanks!

p369

Jan 13, 2016
Hunter 260 Charleston
@MaxinCalgary ,

I did some research and finally found this Kobelt Universal Cable Transfer Unit:
kobeltuniversalcabletransferunit.jpg

The company seems to make parts for commercial vessels so I'm not even sure if it would fit the Yamaha cables. Like you said though, it would likely have to be mounted under the helm seat.

LarryH

May 5, 2010
Hunter 260 Palm Beach County
I have a yamaha and both cables are wrong direction. I’m about to purchase new cables from edson as my transmission cable snapped. Does anyone know the length of cables needed? I figure I may as well replace both at the same time.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
I bought the cables at the same time from Yamaha. The shift side will work the right way, just the throttle is reversed.
I think if you search this site Crazy Dave or somebody has the length . Their around 10 ft . Mine are a bit long but that's better than being to short. If you add the bell crank you would need a three .
If somebody does add the bell crank , post and let me know how it works out.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Use to supply 11 footers with my boats. The addl. length was not an issue as you can coil but the coils would have to be big vs. small.